Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the methods suggested for eliminating Nosema from a hive is to heat it to 120 degrees F for 24 hours or to 140 degress F for 4 hours. Heating the hive may eliminate the Nosema but it also heats whatever honey and pollen that may be in the frames. Heating honey causes the formation of HMF (hydroxymethylfurfural) which is toxic to bees. My search of the internet for specific information about this problem was not very helpful. Does anyone have information about how high a temperature can be applied to honey before it becomes too toxic for feeding back to honeybees?
I constructed an insulated box for heating hives. It works well. But, I need to understand the temperature limits of HMF formation before it can be used.
I found studies that discuss heating to temperatures of 50 degrees C (122 degrees F) and 70 degrees C (158 degrees F). The latter is above the melting point of beeswax. Both studies appeared to be aimed at the limits of HMF formation in regard to human consumption.
Thanks for your help. Beesource is a wonderful source of information.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd like to know more about this too. Last night I was cleaning up a dead out that I believed died from nosema. I scrapped all the wax off the frames (plastic frames) then sprayed them with the pressure washer, and finally dipped them in a mix of bleach and water. They are drying in the sun right now. I hope that is enough to knock it out, cause I think they caught it from the hive that was in that box the year before and died from, what I think was nosema. I didn't clean it out last time the hive died. Learned the hard way.

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
Remember if you plan to heat the hive and the contents that you would have to heat the honey until it reaches the 120/140 for the specified time.
Can bees withstand that temp - :D talk about a no drug treatment?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I add a pan of water, maybe the bees will think they are in a sauna. But, those in the dead-outs don't seem to mind the heat.

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
Ahh. So pasturization would not clean honey with N.C?
I was under the understanding that heat was a pretty universal cleanser (the needed temp may change).
I would think that 300 or 500 is going to kill most things.

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BeeSlave.
Thanks. But, here is a quote from Randy Oliver's site:

"Update: N ceranae spores appear to be more delicate than those of N apis. They are less resistant to either heating or freezing. Dr. Robert Cramer found that heating them to 120°F for only 90 minutes was sufficient to kill them. He also found that they are very susceptible to either bleach or lye solutions."

Do you have something more current than that?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Ernie, sorry to hear about your Nosema. I am in Fairfax VA also (Fairfax City) and I hope you won't mind - I am wondering if our bees might bump into each other out there :) I am near the intersection of 236 and 123; how about you? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts