Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a way to treat corn for japanese beetles without harming bees? I know seven dust is dangerous to the bees and I don't want to use it. Are there any other ways to limit damage to your garden that isn't harmful to the bees? Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
They are real bad here this year. I use Dawn dishwash liquid mix 1:10 in a spray bottle on my cherrry trees. But the bees not on the trees when the beetles show up. Maybe target your garden plants that are not drawing the bees but have J beetles on them.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I have no idea how it would work on a large field. On a small scale there are pheromone/floral lures for Japanese beetles that are highly effective. In fact, for most city gardeners they are actually TOO effective, attracting beetles to their yards. To use these effectively you're supposed to establish a perimeter but far enough out that you're not actually bringing them in to your garden.

We have not had a problem in years. I put down Milky Spore about 10 years ago and that is a persistent fungal agent. Although, if you're using a fungicide, it might take out the Milky Spore.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Twenty five years ago I had a horrific problem with Japanese beetles. That's when I tried milky spore treatment; its a dry powder and applied with a teaspoon. Every few feet flip a spoonful into the air and let it settle; over the years it will spread by itself. I haven't seen a Japanese beetle in twenty four years. It only attacks certain grubs and only underground.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ill also throw in a plug for Milky Spore. I had them bad at my apiary/vineyard/orchard. About 4 years ago I laid down some and each year I saw less and less of the beetles. So far this year I have not seen one.

·
Registered
892 Posts
traps.

I prefer this version

you can remove the green bottle and zip tie a plastic bag to the bottom. Ive had them so bad they fill the bottom 6" of a kitchen trash bag in 24 hrs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've used the phermone traps like the ones above for years. They catch lots of beetles, but they attract every horney beetle for miles! I find that if I put them about a quarter mile away in every direction I have none at my house. (I give them to my neighbors when I "notice" beetles on their ornamentals, grapes, etc.;))

·
Registered
892 Posts
I've used the phermone traps like the ones above for years. They catch lots of beetles, but they attract every horney beetle for miles!
I have had the above traps and bees in the same yard for over 5 years. never seen a single bee attracted to the trap. I purchase the pheromone inserts for that specific trap.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Schmism, I think you misunderstood me. The phermone is the beetle sex phermone. Therefore the attraction of the "horney" japanese beetles. The phermone brings beetles from all my neighbors propertys to mine, so I end up with more beetles than I started with. I didn't misspell honey bee.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I used to have terrible problems with Japanese beetles, but for the last few years I just get a few on the grapes this time of year, and those are easily managed by a light spray of Sevin (in liquid form, so it won't travel around) on the upper leaves.

Japanese beetles produce that strong attractant when they feed, and if you wipe out the first ones, they won't attract more.

For corn I would very carefully spray just the emerging tassels with liquid sevin. No powder, the bees like to collect corn pollen from the leaves and you definitely do not want them picking up powdered sevin!

I don't have any corn out this year (long story) but last year didn't get any damage at all. In the past, they would indeed eat the silks off though.

Peter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts