Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't know if its necessary but I wait for a day when the bees are flying. There are usually warm days here and there. I would think the bees would need to not be in cluster for the vapor to be as effective as it could but I don't know. :kn:

On to check out johns link...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I would think the bees would need to not be in cluster for the vapor to be as effective as it could but I don't know.
I usually pick a day when it's just warm enough for a few bees to play in front of the hive, but not warm enough for any to go off foraging - not that there'd be much point for them to be doing that around here in mid-winter.

On to check out johns link...
There's a whole 'suite' of well-written articles related to the Varroa/drifting/best time to treat etc issue - can't remember the order in which to read them right now - but their links are listed on the Apiarist website in chronological order:
When to treat
Time to BEEHAVE
Keep your distance
Kick 'em when they're down
Drifting in honeybees
The Drifters cont.
All together now

They make for very sobering reading. I knew that re-infestation occurs (of course) but hadn't completely appreciated the severity of this. Re-infestation is more of a major factor in the whole Varroa issue than I'd fully realised - bearing in mind that the reproduction rates of the (resident) varroa mites are actually quite low.
LJ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts