Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new 2 lb package with queen this year using drawn out foundation from last year. They have been doing well and are near ready to put a honey super on. Question is? Do I treat for mites? I have some Apiguard (spelling) and wondering since they are looking healthy and the queen is laying well if I should put the Apiguard in the hive prior to putting a honey super on.

I have never used this stuff before so I am unsure if it is the right thing to do or the right time to do it?

Would appreciate some knowledge from those more experienced.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
With a young queen and a rapidly expanding population your bees are currently outbreeding the mites. If you determine that your bees have a heavy mite load when you pull supers, that is the time to treat. Apiguard can be rough on queens, making them quit laying for a bit. Best to put that abuse on the bees if needed after the main flow. Do a sugar roll to determine if you have a problem is good policy also.

·
Registered
127 Posts
New packages tend to have a light mite load due to the break in the brood cycle but you should pay attention towards the end of the season as mites tend to be going best as the bee population is being driven down in preparation for winter.

I'd watch the count and treat if needed but my preference is HopsGuard or MAQS. I try and treat about 1-1 1/2 months before season ends but after the main flow in order to drive down the mite count sufficiently that the winter bees being born are as healthy and mite free as possible.

As mentioned, sugar roll test works well and if you have screened bottom boards you can perform a drop count; both are well documented as being accurate for calculating the mite load.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If you do decide to treat, keep in mind oxalic acid vapor is very effective against mites.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts