Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Treating a resource hive with Formic Pro

2439 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  tmullark
Good morning,

I am adjusting my IPM for this year and I have two (2) overwintered resource hives to figure out how to treat. These are the popular Palmer 4/4 side by side nucs. So this is effectively four (4) hives I need to treat. Last year going into winter I treated my other six (6) colonies with OXA vaporizor and did an OXA dribble on the side by side nucs. This was because the vaporizer would not fit in the Palmer nucs.

I typically treat with formic pro in the spring just before and possibly with a slight overlap with the adding of honey supers. Has anyone ever treated these side by side nucs with formic? The instructions say not to treat a nuc but as a 4/4 there are 8 frames so its not technically a "nuc".

My intentions is to use these 4 nucs to support my nine (9) other production hives.

Thanks!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jack,

I appreciate the response, I do remember reading the bit from Nod's website and I can see their concerns. It would be exasperated in the side by side nucs I am using since their opening is only 4" by 1/2" for the eight (8) frames. I guess I will figure out another treatment or move them to different equipment for treating.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ryan, thanks, I did an oxa drip in the fall/winter on the nucs and a vapor on the resource hive. This is because the wand I have will not fit in the opening of the resource hive. If I had a provap I would use it for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.