Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I am adjusting my IPM for this year and I have two (2) overwintered resource hives to figure out how to treat. These are the popular Palmer 4/4 side by side nucs. So this is effectively four (4) hives I need to treat. Last year going into winter I treated my other six (6) colonies with OXA vaporizor and did an OXA dribble on the side by side nucs. This was because the vaporizer would not fit in the Palmer nucs.

I typically treat with formic pro in the spring just before and possibly with a slight overlap with the adding of honey supers. Has anyone ever treated these side by side nucs with formic? The instructions say not to treat a nuc but as a 4/4 there are 8 frames so its not technically a "nuc".

My intentions is to use these 4 nucs to support my nine (9) other production hives.

Thanks!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I believe the issue is not number of frames but whether or not you have adequate ventilation.I think the formic vapors are heavier than air.
Last year or the year before at Mass Beek field day,Tom Nolan from Nod,described his experience applying Formic to a nuc(note: off label) and its disastrous results.
(You live close enough to attend in Amherst MA every June)

From Nod website
" Nucleus box designs vary and most do not have the ventilation required for Formic Pro use, even for a single strip treatment. Without a full bottom entrance (full width of a full size hive, ½inch(1.3cm) high), hive ventilation during treatment is compromised. Formic Pro should only be applied on single or double brood chamber standard Langstroth equipment or equivalent (e.g. Dadant). The Honey bee colony cluster must cover a minimum of 6 brood frames (approximately 10,000 bees). If you move your nucs into full size brood chambers and allow them time to expand to a full six frames, you can then treat with Formic Pro. Always remember to wait 24 hours after working your bees to treat with Formic Pro."

Contact info for Nod
http://nodglobal.com/contact/

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jack,

I appreciate the response, I do remember reading the bit from Nod's website and I can see their concerns. It would be exasperated in the side by side nucs I am using since their opening is only 4" by 1/2" for the eight (8) frames. I guess I will figure out another treatment or move them to different equipment for treating.

·
Registered
168 Posts
For what it's worth if you wish to try a different treatment I have had no problems using OAV on Nucs with queencells, virgins or freshly mated queens.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ryan, thanks, I did an oxa drip in the fall/winter on the nucs and a vapor on the resource hive. This is because the wand I have will not fit in the opening of the resource hive. If I had a provap I would use it for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this same exact question, thanks for posting. i am also hoping to use formic pro to treat my resource hive and i dont want to move it to a full size hive.

Curious about other suggestions for mite treatment for a resource hive. i have a OAV wand which i have not used yet (will check to see if it fits) and i used apivar last fall and had good results, but i want to mix up the various treatments. still open to suggestions on how formic pro could be tolerable in a resource hive, and curious if anyone with a resource hive has treated with formic pro. many thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts