Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could a oav treatment have any negative affect on a recent hive that was made queenless from a split , there in the process of making queen cells etc. I would hate to set them back with a treatment .

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
In theory, no. But for something as important as the queen, me, I would hang back until the cells are capped, which for queen cells is only 5 days from emergence from the egg, to capping.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Sence you have a brood less period coming, up I would just wait till then to insure a good treatment

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good , I usually dont do a spring treatment of oav in the spring as with so much brood its not very effective but have also especially last year I noticed mite levels during the dearth were higher than normal and was thinking of a spring treatment to knock them down a little bit and not let hem get so numerous , maybe one of the other treatments that can kill mites under capped brood would be alot more effective this time of year .

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I would wait until the new queen has mated and just begun to lay. I am reluctant to add any unnecessary, potentially disruptive activities until the whole queen issue has settled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts