Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for anyone who has tried treated plywood for swarm traps.

I know plenty will say I shouldn't for the bees' health, and so I've abandoned my plans to build my boxes out of them. My question is specifically will they work as traps. Have bees demonstrated a distaste for treated plywood? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I will likely get hazed for saying it, but I would have no problem using treated wood in a swarm trap. As to whether they would work or not, I suppose your concern is some type of odor that the bees might find offensive. I guess I can't answer from any experience, but I would be somewhat shocked if that turned out to be the case. Given the strange places I have found bee colonies.

While I would not want to use treated wood on a permanent colony, I do not think spending a few weeks in a swarm trap made of treated wood will make any difference to the general health of the colony. Many will disagree.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
While I would not want to use treated wood on a permanent colony, I do not think spending a few weeks in a swarm trap made of treated wood will make any difference to the general health of the colony. Many will disagree.
Not me. I agree 100% with this statement. If you had some treated plywood laying around and wanted to use it for swarm traps, go for it. Just don't' build any hives with it. Treated wood tends to be more expensive, so I certainly would not go out and buy any to use with the bees.

Reactions: massbee

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I will likely get hazed for saying it, but I would have no problem using treated wood in a swarm trap. As to whether they would work or not, I suppose your concern is some type of odor that the bees might find offensive. I guess I can't answer from any experience, but I would be somewhat shocked if that turned out to be the case. Given the strange places I have found bee colonies.

Weeks???? I usually check mine twice a week. The bees get transferred to a hive as soon as
I find them. Some traps I walk by every day. I transfer them the day after. That being said, I would not hesitate to use
treated wood for traps.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,456 Posts
Looking for anyone who has tried treated plywood for swarm traps.

I know plenty will say I shouldn't for the bees' health, and so I've abandoned my plans to build my boxes out of them. My question is specifically will they work as traps. Have bees demonstrated a distaste for treated plywood? Any thoughts?
Hi Krez

so cut the pieces out and paint the inside with Kills 3 or Kills 2, let dry in the sun for a couple days, then put together.
Could also do a double wall hive and use it on the outside layer.
Could use it for the outer cover, melt some old comb and give the inside a good coat of wax/slag from the melt.
Could use it for the roof of a small lean to to put bees under.
there is the wax dipped as well.

I would not be afraid to find a use, perhaps coat the inside with something.

Is it the new copper sulfate soaked or the old type with Arsenic?

I did use 1/2 treated on the outside of my double deep long hive.

GG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.