Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about ready to add the second deep to each of my new two hives. Is now the right time to treat for mites?

If I use the strips do I have to take the screened bottom board out?

How long after I remove the strips can I add the super?

·
Registered
222 Posts
It is late to treat for mites but better late then never. The best time to treat with strips is when there is very little brood.

I don't think you should take the SBB out.

I believe you can add the super right after you take the strips out.

Neubee

·
Registered
348 Posts
Apistan treatment period is 6-8 weeks. That's cutting it close.
I'd let them be for now and treat in the fall. Just my opinion. Have you done a mite count to see how many mites you are dealing with?

Anyway the SBB can stay in place either way.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what should I have done? Put in the strips when I installed my bees? Or at my 2 week inspection (there was lots of brood then)... They've only been in for 4 weeks...

·
Registered
143 Posts
well, they should have been treated by the supplier already. I wouldn't worry about it until fall if you're going to treat.

Leave your SBB in place

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Look at the FGMO forum. You can fog anytime you want, and add supers the next day. Some are even considering fogging with supers on. I have not done that, and am not recommending it. Fogging takes only a minute or two and is all food grade.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I would not risk my bees on faith that the package supplier treated for mites. He may have, he may have used a treatment that is not high as far as efficacy goes. Surviving mites in the current atmosphere means checking hives for mites on a regular schedule. We check drone cells or do sugar rolls. We spot check our yards every 2 weeks and monitor levels. You should develop an ongoing IPM plan to deal with ongoing control, preferably one that will include some type of impact during the season. We use tobacco in our smoker judiciously (nicotine in small does kills mites yet will not kill bees) at different times during the season. We pull honey the middle of July and use formic acid or fog with thymol for mid season knock down. Many times even hives that been treated in the early spring then shipped from the South will be heavy with mites towards the end of the summer flow and by the time honey is off and fall treatment is on the damage is done. We've found good mite control is an ongoing task for all season, not a spring/ fall answer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts