Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to pick up nucs from the famous Don Kuchenmeister. Departing early this coming Saturday morning 7/10 from the New York City area. If you are in the area - or on the way down (or up) - and are interested in getting bees, I am offering to share my van, driving time, and travel expenses for the trip. Please private message me to discuss details. If other dates are more convenient, please let me know your alternate dates. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Good luck with your new bees- I have two hives of Don's bees from nucs this Spring and they are doing great. :) Very healthy, and gentle too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. I hear great things about Don. Spoke with him twice today. Loves bees and knows his stuff!

Would love to share the trip because it's a real haul for a weekend!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don is awesome, I have some video of him up on you tube, and can't wait til I'm in a position to get up there and shoot some more..

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Don't you wish that Don lived in White Plains?

That's a heck of a road trip... Especially if your relief driver is a chain-smoking techno-music loving sort of beekeeper, who's either too hot or too cold, and they never pass cars on the right!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
He lives out there, but it will be well worth your while to go. It's amazing what you can learn from him while you are there. You should see if he can throw a class your way while your there, I'll bet my FBM bees it would be worth it. My 5 frame Nuc i picked up in April is 3 meds deep right now and I have pulled 2 splits from them......gentle as they can bee

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your comments, Dev. I really want to get down there but so far no one has come forward to join me in this endeavor. And part of going is to spend some time with Don to learn a few things. I'd much rather get my bees from him than from the person I've been getting them from up here.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Well worth your endevour in my opinion. I learned a ton in the hr i spent with him....never used a veil or gloves and amongst 100 hives, never had an act of aggression...LOL

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, that's what I hear - VERY gentle bees and very productive as well.

So, what are you waiting for? Come on along!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yeah, that's what I hear - VERY gentle bees and very productive as well.

So, what are you waiting for? Come on along!

Wish i could, stay at home dad with 3 kids outta school, i get no rest...plus, i have more bees than i can handle if thats possible..(not really, just don't want a divorce..LOL)

·
Registered
201 Posts
OOH I would Love to go. My brother in law just got some Russian bees from him and said that they were so gentle and he learned so much.

NO KIDNAPPING folks, he is ours!!! :no:

I live a couple hours away, but will be taking kids to camp that day:( (even closer!) Wishing you the best! Have a blast!

Lauren

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I had some shipping nightmares three years ago so driving to get Don's nucs is a good idea. The bees were so calm I found it to be strange.

I have a FM daughter-queen now...

Stone,

Are you going to put Don's bees into TBH's?

I might go on a bee roadtrip but it will be in the opposite direction, up to Burlington Vt for Michael Palmer's nuc workshop. Five hours will be enough for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Everything's better in the south. Id ride with you to Don's but I dont know if a twenty minute trip would help the ride share any. Will his bees live above the Mason Dixon. Im just kiddding,if I was up there I'd want to be here too!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't you wish that Don lived in White Plains?

That's a heck of a road trip... Especially if your relief driver is a chain-smoking techno-music loving sort of beekeeper, who's either too hot or too cold, and they never pass cars on the right!
You crack me up!:lpf:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everything's better in the south. Id ride with you to Don's but I dont know if a twenty minute trip would help the ride share any. Will his bees live above the Mason Dixon. Im just kiddding,if I was up there I'd want to be here too!
Your heart is in the right place - even though it's a short trip for you! :)

I'm very grateful for the encouragement from you all. I'm so eager to get there but I still haven't gotten any takers.

I'll just keep this thread running in the hopes that someone will come forward. I'm teaching summer school here but I can pretty much take off to accommodate someone's dates. Still waiting....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good luck on finding someone. Its worth the trip. If anything to see what 102 and 90% humidity really feels like. Shout at me when you get here. We'll get you up some good food and show you where all you need to stop on the way home.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Stone,

I am assuming you will be traveling down the NJ Turnpike and or part of I-295 ( I live within minutes of both roadways near the Delaware Memorial Bridge ).
Please be advised that both roadways are under major renovations/construction approaching I-195 and south, so traveling off peak hours will save you some headaches. :eek: Have a safe trip :lookout:

BB

·
Registered
224 Posts
What is Dons apairy contact info? I was wanting to get at least one more and I live in Southern Alabama. Dont want to wait for another delivery. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts