Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering putting out a trap or two out with the intent to use it as a starter for a new colony. But it dawned on me that there is quite extensive commercial bee activity as I live around many orchards. While a swarm is a swarm, I can't help but hear a jimminy cricket conscious on my shoulder saying "now you don't want to be trying to lure off someone else hive." That is not my intent but could setting up a trap be inadvertently doing that, or could it be construed as such? Or it doesn't matter anyway... thoughts?

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Most commercial beekeepers don't have time to go swarm chasing & will be totally fine with you hiving a swarm from their hives.

Everybody is different though, just don't be blatant, have the traps out of sight not right next to their hives.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
As a "commercial guy" I am not in the least bothered by it as long as it isn't on the same immediate property. Every year we hive a few low hanging swarms adjacent to a yard. Matter of fact I like the idea that someone catches it before it bothers someone. Swarming season is a busy time and swarm calls usually end up being night work after a busy day.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
When a swarm leaves the property it is free.

You can't make a hive swarm with a trap you can only catch one.

I would set as many traps as you can in all different direction of the apiary. (get land owner permission otherwise you're trespassing)

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
some of my out yards have particularly good bees and I try to catch my swarms. Thus I place traps out. Now I do feel put upon to see other traps on the property even if the individual had permission to be there. If I am trying to lure my own swarms I feel other traps decrease my odds. However I do not feel the least bit interfered with if they on adjoining properties. It does not bother me on properties I have hives on if I have no traps out. I would rather someone made use of them than to have them end up in someone's attic.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
the trespassing laws can be a bit trickey for swarms. in the old days, in most areas you could go where you wanted if the swarm was in sight and it was off the landowner's land where the hive came from. you need to do some carefull local research. a lot of these laws are from the 1800.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the great feedback. I'll not need to leave my property and I'm (generally) upwind from a few hundred hives. So if their moving out anyway I'll give them some options. There is a lot of surrounding forest too. So it's possible I would just get a wild bunch, although some nice domesticated locals would be preferred (as a newbee). I'll take a video if it happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts