Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
So far out of the 2021 six swarms I got I can classify them by size as (measured in extra deep frames):
#1 - large (about 6-7 frames; compatible to a Lang deep box)
#2 - large (about 8-9 frames; compatible to a Lang deep box)
#3 - medium (about 5-6 frames)
#4 - medium (about 5-6 frames)
#5 - mega (about 15-16 frames; compatible to two Lang deep boxes)
#6 - large (about 7-8 frames; compatible to a Lang deep box).

Every single one so far landed into a full-size hive or its equivalent (as pictured).
A full-size trap hive for me contains 5-6 frames in various shapes (usually cut-outs after honey harvest) and a follower board to limit the nest space, but the rest of the hive volume is fully accessible for the swarm too for any spill over bees.
So if I was running Lang equipment I'd setup my trap hives as pictured using full size equipment - this way a small swarm gets what it needs (a smaller cavity) and a large swarm gets what it needs too (a large cavity). This setup does it both ways.

So this season turns to be good for me, just it started late and is running late too.
Nice large swarms.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
No more hits since the last one on 7/10th.
I think I will take down a couple of the stand-alone traps so that I don't need to monitor them anymore (and summer vacation is nearing).
Each one of the 7 bases still has a trap on site anyway.
No special monitoring for these is needed.

Whatever happens the next few weeks, this season was good already and met my needs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Despite having 7 traps out since feb & rebaiting every 2 weeks i was unsucessful in catching one. Next year ill have drawn comb & can spare a few frames to put in so hopefully will have better luck!
Congrats on your success!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Despite having 7 traps out since feb & rebaiting every 2 weeks i was unsucessful in catching one. Next year ill have drawn comb & can spare a few frames to put in so hopefully will have better luck!
Congrats on your success!
Thanks.
Yes, I observe many starting swarm chasers not having luck (as I did myself at the beginning).

Just last night I made a shook swarm for a guy who was un-successfully trapping for a swarm for two years now.
I gave him dark frames, propolised rags, etc... No hits.
And yet my own hives/traps (really well seasoned, unlike his though) have been dragging the swarms down reliably, pretty much side-by-side with his traps.

And so, the well seasoned traps really do perform better at my place.

Anyway, my "student" (let me call him that) can play with his own bees now.
He's been trying hard and I convinced him to NOT buy the bees just yet.
He deserves a break. :)

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,060 Posts
So far out of the 2021 six swarms I got I can classify them by size as (measured in extra deep frames):
#1 - large (about 6-7 frames; compatible to a Lang deep box)
#2 - large (about 8-9 frames; compatible to a Lang deep box)
#3 - medium (about 5-6 frames)
#4 - medium (about 5-6 frames)
#5 - mega (about 15-16 frames; compatible to two Lang deep boxes)
#6 - large (about 7-8 frames; compatible to a Lang deep box).

Every single one so far landed into a full-size hive or its equivalent (as pictured).
A full-size trap hive for me contains 5-6 frames in various shapes (usually cut-outs after honey harvest) and a follower board to limit the nest space, but the rest of the hive volume is fully accessible for the swarm too for any spill over bees.
So if I was running Lang equipment I'd setup my trap hives as pictured using full size equipment - this way a small swarm gets what it needs (a smaller cavity) and a large swarm gets what it needs too (a large cavity). This setup does it both ways.

View attachment 64520

So this season turns to be good for me, just it started late and is running late too.
Nice large swarms.
6 decient swarms good deal.
did you get any promising Queens?
Hopefully you can get some of those thru the winter for using in the spring for splits.

I only caught 3 this year, I am reeling in my traps this week to use in getting splits up to size, give comb and feed to get ready for winter. Some what out of gear, made 20 frames last night to feather in 1 or 2 per hive, and pull a frames of honey for the light ones.

GG

GG

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
did you get any promising Queens?
I don't see any promising queens, GG.
Pretty much commercial stock, "US pollinator" grade.
Maybe one Carni, sort of.

Depending how many of my own survivor-line queens I have, will replace the swarm queens.

Gave one swarm queen to my "student" with his toy swarm.
Probably will OA treat his toy swarm one more time while brood-less; just to have him a better setup.

The captured queens will be moved into small holding nucs until late fall.
This is just for backup/support/comb building and/or to be sold for 1/2 price to those in urgent queen need (which happens every single fall).

I managed to OA dribble every single swarm I got this year (missed one - but did it later by splitting it).
So that is the experiment this year - how good is a single OA dribble if done on a brood-less startup.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
So that is the experiment this year - how good is a single OA dribble if done on a brood-less startup.
GregV:

Glad to read that you've been able to follow-through with your stated goal for the year. I will be interested to see how you fare this Winter to give you another point of reference going forward, especially with some promising 'survivor stock' genetics in the mix.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
GregV:

Glad to read that you've been able to follow-through with your stated goal for the year. I will be interested to see how you fare this Winter to give you another point of reference going forward, especially with some promising 'survivor stock' genetics in the mix.
Will see, Russ.
I will do my best to hold the line and only do this one change and nothing else.
So far I have 12 units that should go into the winter if things hold (discounting any temp nucs).

61 - 68 of 68 Posts