Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I’ve caught about ten so far here’s a few more. The year started slow with the big freeze we had here in south Texas but it’s going now! I was concerned about using all drawn comb and nucs but it hasn’t slowed them down I had one that was all five frames front to back laid with brood and queen cups with an egg barely caught them before they swarmed again. I wish I had be trapping years ago I’ve caught some really good swarms

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
With this late May "polar vortex" all swarming activity ceased to exist.
Scouting is slowly coming back to life.

In the backyard they just can not make they minds between the multiple trap hives that I have.
They now moved onto the next target - my wintering box with nuc boxes inside.
This is already the 4th target they seem to be moving onto - too many choices that I got.

So now I see the scouts hauling dead bees out of the "pink entrance".
That is an encouraging sign.
If scouts are already doing housekeeping chores in a trap hive, how can this NOT be encouraging!

Very recently I watched a video where dead bees are mentioned to be a good attractant too
(See 12:00)

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Swarming is just about done here in Central Virginia. This year the score is 7 swarms in 10 traps. One trap got hit twice.

Gregv,

It is disappointing to hear nothing is happening for you yet. Most of the captures around here happened in a 10 day span. Hopefully, you will be swimming in swarms soon.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Unless something happens, a swarm into that triple-trap pictured above is highly probable today.
Activity is heavy already.

They keep shifting between the three - the "pink entrance", the "blue entrance", or the nuc standing on the top. Have no clue which one it will be.

Look to be just some junk, "almond" bees (the usual here) - but I need some resource bees badly, if I am to start my queen raising project from the lone VSH survivor.
Will take any bees.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Swarming is just about done here in Central Virginia. This year the score is 7 swarms in 10 traps. One trap got hit twice.

Gregv,

It is disappointing to hear nothing is happening for you yet. Most of the captures around here happened in a 10 day span. Hopefully, you will be swimming in swarms soon.
It is still early days around here. My earliest swarms have been late May, and June seems to be the big swarm month. Greg has a lot of chances remaining.

If I was serious about it I'd sneak over by the nearest almond bee apiary and set some traps in the woods. It's less than 10 miles away.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
If I was serious about it I'd sneak over by the nearest almond bee apiary and set some traps in the woods. It's less than 10 miles away.
Hehe...
You should.
You have a promising survivor, but need the resources to propagate it.
Nothing wrong with almond bees in that.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Hehe...
You should.
You have a promising survivor, but need the resources to propagate it.
Nothing wrong with almond bees in that.
Unfortunately, I am lazy...in some respects anyway. I don't leave home much except to go to work.

In a weird way this past year has been a good one for me. My work became far more intense, valuable and interesting, and I was required to do in my spare time exactly what I prefer to do anyway...stay home.

But, now that the thought is in my head, it would be easy to swing by on my way home from work and drop off a few traps along the creeks nearby...take a couple minutes each...

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
it would be easy to swing by on my way home from work and drop off a few traps along the creeks nearby...take a couple minutes each...
Especially IF this is not a special trip, but just mostly your routine commute.
And you already have the idle equipment - well, heck, try to fill it up.

Keep in mind - you are doing community service by roaming swarm prevention.
People in my area are already calling and complaining of the swarms entering the houses - same old every year.
I personally have no inclination to do any removals; but others do it.

AR, I now have a sprinkle bottle with 2.5% OA ready - to wash down any swarms I capture in 2021.
Change in my program, I am sure you are aware.
Granted we both have pathetic survival rates - something to consider for you too.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
So this in interesting...
Not only they are dragging out dead bees and doing the Nasonov.
They now became defensive and chased me away for being too nosy (too much close picture taking).

Note to self:
it might be a good idea to toss a handful of dead bees (if I find any) into some of the traps;
does not hurt, but a good indicator of the scouting intentions.

And yet - no swarm.
These are just the scouts.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
They now became defensive and chased me away for being too nosy (too much close picture taking).
I was once taking flash pictures real close to the hole of an occupied trap. After about 4 pictures, roughly 200 bees came boiling out of the hole. They didn't come after me, but I didn't stick around long enough to find out.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Pretty sure this backyard swarm was not meant to be.
I need to hit a reset button.

While the scouts were already hauling the trash out and settled enough to ventilate the traps and stay overnight - the real swarm never came. The original bee owner must have intervened and intercepted the leaving swarm.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Finally the first swarm of the season for me.

I wish I had an video operator sometimes. Well, I don't.
This turned into a messy cut-out operation due the non-conventional trap.
I just could not film because I had my hands full.
Too bad I didn't check the traps more often than every other week due to logistics.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Speaking of the scouts, these darn things can be a real problem if they settle into a trap but the swarm never shows.
I got them all settled into my double-trap in the backyard (like I said, they are taking trash out and ventilating).
OK, I let them bee I guess as I got more traps on the site.

Well, today I decided to peek inside and remove some honey frames as these scouts don't really deserve free food for not delivering their swarm.
Got stung.
Twice.
**** scouts! :mad:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Good you got another. Still not a whisper here. I saw two bees today in my back yard, investigating a bit of comb left out.

I put out 2 more traps, one large one in the woods edge a quarter mile from my hive, and another along an access road, not far from an apiary. Plus the empty hives just sitting out.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Good you got another. Still not a whisper here. I saw two bees today in my back yard, investigating a bit of comb left out.
AR, you should try this - set out any frames and boxes you have outside.
My porch is facing straight East and so the morning sun hits them nicely the first thing.
I got lots of bees all the time sniffing around.
They just not brought any swarms yet (they did try though but someone was paying attention).
(see pic).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
AR, you should try this - set out any frames and boxes you have outside.
My porch is facing straight East and so the morning sun hits them nicely the first thing.
I got lots of bees all the time sniffing around.
They just not brought any swarms yet (they did try though but someone was paying attention).
(see pic).
It's worth trying, but honestly I already have quite a bit of stuff outside, and zero interest. The occasional bee (3 today) on that bit of old comb.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts