Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazing! I heard that it's about location and now I've caught and kept four swarms with a trap hanging on the same tree in a fence line by our church. Every time I catch a swarm there, I leave it for about two days just to make sure they are really moved in for sure and not just a bunch of scouts hanging out, then I take the swarm box home and hang another one in its place. Then within about one or two days, another swarm moves in. Do you guys think it's the same feral colony swarming repeatedly? The swarms seem to be getting stronger instead of smaller. I have another trap 100 yards away and have caught nothing in it all spring. It's a medium 10 frame super in a tree about the same height as the 5 frame nuc trap that keeps catching so many swarms, so maybe that's got something to do with it or maybe it's just that fence row location?

I have about ten traps set out at various locations mostly by my own beeyards, but I've caught these four by the church with no beeyards close by. I caught one other swarm this spring in a 5 frame nuc trap hanging on a big oak tree behind a tractor dealership at the edge of town and I don't know of any beeyards near that location either. So it seems I'm catching all my swarms from feral colonies around town and none out in the country. I didn't have any of my colonies at my home apiary to swarm this spring so far, but the two yard in the bean fields did swarm I guess, because I saw opened queen cells during inspection. This is my first year to trap swarms and I'm impressed with the results from the few traps I've set out.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
>four swarms with a trap hanging on the same tree in a fence line by our church

God works in mysterious ways....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts