Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to try a trap out. I have bees in a rock piller on a front porch. they are going in a small hole on the base of the piller. I cannot open up the piller to get them out so i have to do a trap out. so i need advise. i plan on building a funnel from screen on the current hole they are using. the funnel will go directly into a hive box where i will put a few frames of brood some other drawn frames, maybee put on a jar of 1/1 surup on top and leave a small entrace out so they can still fly out and forage. the owner will allow me to try it for 1 week. what is the chances that i will get the queen. Im guessing not very high. any tips would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
If the owner will only give you one week, then you might as well not start. It will take anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks, depending on how large and established the colony is.

If you decide to do it anyway, you MUST seal every possible entrance into the house.

I am currently doing a trap out. I started on May 23 and bees are still exiting. I expect this to go about 12 weeks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here is a short video I took of a trap out I am trying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XaLT2YLykE

So far its been going 12 days and they are still coming out... I am moving the hive up next to the exit hole in the morning to try to get more of the bees to try it out :)

Most all of the bees you see in this video are now in another hive on my property. I waited till they were all settled down, that night, and then scooped as many as possible into a box for the transfer... Those bees received a new queen after three days and are doing well...

Today the amount of bees on the post is about the same as in the video with more coming out. Those bees are the ones I am trying to entice into the hive now....

If you only have a week its going to really hard to get them all...

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Swatkins
You need the hive closer to the exit, when I do a trap out I use a nuc box (eaiser for an old guy to handle) and keep the nuc box close to the bee escape. The last one I did I had to change the box after 3 days and I got 4 boxes full before I was through.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
the owner will allow me to try it for 1 week.
Kwest
You need to explain to the owner how the queen may lay 2,000 eggs today and tomorrow and______that in 21 days there can bee 2,000 more bees and that it takes several days for her to slow down because the work fource is getting weaker every day.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Swatkins
You need the hive closer to the exit, QUOTE]

Yeah, I know :)

Problem is that the entrance is in one heck of a bad spot... First off the entrance is a crack in the bricks just next to a 2" square Metal post.. That post is the hinge post for the gate and the gate swings back into the funnel.. I had to make a funnel that would not interfere with the gate operation .

The second problem is all the gate hardware just to the left of the brick column.. The gate swings into that area and I can't move anything.

A couple of days ago I made a stand out of 2x4's and I am going to bridge the equipment and get the box higher today,,,, Hopefully the box will not shade out the solar panel too much or I will have to take it back down :( That solar panel is the only source of power for the gate ....

Tough trying to make this work and not interfere with the only gate the owners have into their property,,,

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Just curious, I saw a video of an extension agent,,,youetube I'm pretty sure,,,,that used Bee Go,,,,,the stuff to move the bees off the honey to pull it,,,,(geriatric spaz:doh:) to push the entire hive out and capture it. They said they got the queen this way. It was a massive hive in a brick wall as I recall. Anyway,,,,,,,I'm new to this and am fascinated with swarms, trap outs and cutouts. Has anyone tried the chem or do you think it would work.
Thanks
Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts