Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a phone call last night from some folks that own a historic B & B. They watched as a swarm of bees landed just above a side entrance door. As they were talking to me they said there seemed to be fewer and fewer bees. I drove over (only 5 mins.) and sure enough a swarm has just set up residence in the small roof above this door.
(No, these were not one of my swarms, the lady next door to them has a backyard hive. Besides, mine always land in a tree at least 30 ft. up):doh:

Given that this swarm has just moved in and probably not very established, would a trapout be advisable? There is probably not a lot of comb built yet and if I provide them with a nuc box with drawn comb would they perhaps find this more appealing?
I am reluctant to try to open this area of their home up because of all the historic trim and stuff that could be expensive to replace. I also think that if I opened up this cavity so early on that with nothing really to defend they will simply take to the air and I won't be able to catch em.
Any thoughts?:scratch:

Perry

·
Registered
113 Posts
disclaimer: I'm no expert

but I'd think this would be the best time for a trapout....they have no comb(unless there was some from a previous hive)..no pollen nector/honey. I would think they would come out faster than a normal hive with stored food...but I could be completely wrong, and it won't be the first time:D

please keep us posted on your decision and results

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just got back. I am trying the trapout. I put the screen funnel in place, caulked everything up, found another spot they went to get in and caulked that shut too. Set my nuc up about 10 feet high with some braces but I could only get the entrance to the nuc within 5-6 inches of the base of the funnel (apparently where most of the bees go trying to get back in) I hope this is close enough.
I had a couple of frames with a bit of pollen and honey in the nuc and some of the bees went in after it. I then drove to one of my nearby hives and swiped a frame with a small patch of capped and open brood and popped it into the nuc. I hope there are enough bees going to go in and cover it as it started to rain and the forecast for the next few days isn't great. Probably no more bees will leave the wall until sunnier days. I would hate to lose the brood on this frame to chill if there arn't enough bees covering it.
It feels weird, never having tried this before, I hope that I have covered all the bases that I could think of. I guess only time will tell now.
Fingers crossed.
Perry

·
Registered
585 Posts
Perry Have ya thought about possibly getting some bee-go inside of the porch roof to help drive them out into the nuc ? ....Rick

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
USCBeeMan - I made sure the frame had eggs. (actually I was lucky in that it had brood of all stages)

RAlex - I would have to have bee-go shipped to where I am located but honestly I hadn't thought of it. I did smoke the bee-jeebers out of a second entrance I found the bees using after I put the screen funnel on the primary entrance. I then caulked it shut.

My biggest concern so far is that with all the rain there has not been enough bees leave the wall/roof to properly cover the frame of brood I placed in the nuc. I am not sure how many bees were in this swarm, they had already entered the wall/roof before I got there. It may be possible that this is a smaller afterswarm with a virgin queen which may be good, as she would have to leave for mating flights. If so I hope when she returned she would go into the nuc.

The homeowners took pictures and have said they would email them to me, if possible I will try to post some, (especially if this works, I'll be the guy with the big head and an ear to ear grin)

Perry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts