Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a "magic" length to the screen cone? I have a trapout going with a 8" long cone that tapers from 6 in dia to 1/4 in in the past week i have had to dis-assemble it 2 times to pour out all the dead bees it was totally filled any suggestions

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
"magic" "magic"---I dont think magic works with bees :lookout:

The cones I have made have been about 6" long tapering from about 3" round to the opening that I size with a "first grade pencil" ( gota keep it big enugh for the fat boyzs to get out) and I make the end of the cone higher than where the bees come out of the hive.

I havent done a lot of trap outs but have never had the cone plug with bees but every one is different so keep trying and good luck.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
742 Posts
needs to be big enough for two drones to pass at the same time. I would make it closer to 5/8" or 3/4"

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bee space is reported to be about 3/8 of an inch, I would think the small opening should be that or slightly larger. I use 1/2-1 inch myself.The bees are looking for the hive opening where it use to be not 6 or 8 inches out where the cone ends, Jim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks honeyman

higher than the original entrance is not an option i this case . as they are coming out of a light fixture in a soffit 28 ft in the air . i might be able to rig up something similar to a p-trap that would give them a low point or place for the dead to collect . it has been perty dis-hartining killing all of these bees but they were going to get sprayed if i didn't try something

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It isn't so much the small size of the opening that keeps the bees from going back in - it's the fact that they don't find it because they are trying to get through the screen to get to the original entrance that they can see and smell at the bottom. Just snip off the end of the cone to make it bigger until it doesn't trap bees anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts