Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guy call me 4 weeks ago to remove bees out of a column on a wall he lives in a neighborhood with a H-O-A And they have been at war since he moved in 4 months ago he doesn't want to kill them I have attempted a trap out but have failed due to holes in the grout I have spent to much time on this and am giving one more shot yesterday he said to kill them now today he doesn't need some advice help would be appreciated the wall is the HOA PRIVACY WALL not his fence I have one pic if it will help

·
Registered
825 Posts
Good of you to give the bees your best shot...

First, the cone needs to be essentially 'one' with the landing board. You can take a piece of screen to build a 'bridge' per se... The bees need to be able to walk to the hive box.

Option...lift that topper off the column...the bees are probably attached directly to it....

Option....Brace that topper up well, and remove a stone or two by cutting out the grout....remove bees and replace stones...

Tip....Steel wool works awesome for sealing up all those little access holes! Silicone the board to the bricks...(screw all that tape, or tuck steel wool in under it)...allow to dry enough that it stays put, then fill all the little gaps with steel wool. Now that rainy season is here, rust discoloration may become an issue from the steel wool, but if you figure a way to keep it dry it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Are you seeing any bees using the tip of the cone as an entrance? If so, the cone needs to be redesigned all together. What kind of screening did you use?

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Burn them. You are fighting a losing battle. People with money don't want to be inconvenienced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good of you to give the bees your best shot...

First, the cone needs to be essentially 'one' with the landing board. You can take a piece of screen to build a 'bridge' per se... The bees need to be able to walk to the hive box.

Option...lift that topper off the column...the bees are probably attached directly to it....

Option....Brace that topper up well, and remove a stone or two by cutting out the grout....remove bees and replace stones...

Tip....Steel wool works awesome for sealing up all those little access holes! Silicone the board to the bricks...(screw all that tape, or tuck steel wool in under it)...allow to dry enough that it stays put, then fill all the little gaps with steel wool. Now that rainy season is here, rust discoloration may become an issue from the steel wool, but if you figure a way to keep it dry it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Are you seeing any bees using the tip of the cone as an entrance? If so, the cone needs to be redesigned all together. What kind of screening did you use?

Ok thank you for the reply I used aluminum window screen bees only use cone as exit they re enter on back side and on the left side through multiple holes I I don't believe the column is built out off cinder blocks I believe it's metal studs hard wear cloth grout/stuck then the fake brick this is the last column of the wall it's shabby craftsman ship all try the wool

·
Registered
825 Posts
Tell the HOA that since bees have already established themselves in that "column", it will be a constant liability for additional bee problems (which is true). Volunteer to be there when the demo crew starts work so you can remove the bees. Let them haul the rest off. They WILL get another colony in that column....I can just about promise. So flip the liability back on them. Even if they nuke them, the bees will be back in a year. I hope you are getting paid for this. Trap outs are a TON of work, and follow up. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tell the HOA that since bees have already established themselves in that "column", it will be a constant liability for additional bee problems (which is true). Volunteer to be there when the demo crew starts work so you can remove the bees. Let them haul the rest off. They WILL get another colony in that column....I can just about promise. So flip the liability back on them. Even if they nuke them, the bees will be back in a year. I hope you are getting paid for this. Trap outs are a TON of work, and follow up. Good luck. Keep us posted.
I thought about it they are liable and I am geting a donation I can't charge I don't have a p/o license or I would

1 - 9 of 9 Posts