Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who has bees in an old elm tree in his yard. He wants them gone due to Grand children playing in the yard. He does not want to cut down the tree so I am going to try a trap out. I have watched some youtube on this but help would be welcome. You cant see much action from the pic but they are there. Tree shellbark hickory sweet birch Trunk red pine

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fly, Yes I did get that from the youtube. I plane on putting in a frame of eggs and brood when the time comes. After I get all the bees out I want to open it back up and let them rob it out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am running a trap out right now. I got my first start of bees from the trap out on Friday. Cut out a swarm cell from another hive and they attached it already. My biggest problem with trap outs have been that its hard to keep the bees from going around the trap. They get through the smallest holes in the screen. They also chew the wood on the trees I think to get free. I've used plastic trash bags in the past but I'm probably not using them in the future with the screen. trash bags make it impossible to see where you are leaking bees. Another bigger problem is that in the beginning you mostly get old cranky field bees. The biggest problem is that you need the trap out to be close to your house or work because you will make 5X more trips to check on it than you expect.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am running a trap out right now. I got my first start of bees from the trap out on Friday. Cut out a swarm cell from another hive and they attached it already. My biggest problem with trap outs have been that its hard to keep the bees from going around the trap. They get through the smallest holes in the screen. They also chew the wood on the trees I think to get free. I've used plastic trash bags in the past but I'm probably not using them in the future with the screen. trash bags make it impossible to see where you are leaking bees. Another bigger problem is that in the beginning you mostly get old cranky field bees. The biggest problem is that you need the trap out to be close to your house or work because you will make 5X more trips to check on it than you expect.
I have the owners permission to go in ahead of the trap out and use expanding foam to set a circle of foam around the entrance to staple the screen to. I hope this will prevent them from getting back in.

·
Registered
316 Posts
they can chew through that stuff I think, I had bees chew through the edge of a reducer this week when I was trying to move some bees. It's an old box with an old entrance reducer but they defined chewed a hole thru it finally!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Do a GOOGLE search for "WIMPY HOGAN'S SWARM HARVESTER" and it will have Cleo Hogan's Ph# on that site and he will give you all the FREE advise you need to make it work.

·
Registered
316 Posts
actually, just send cleo hogan a self addressed stamped envelope and he will send you the directions so you will always have a copy, that is what I did!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do a GOOGLE search for "WIMPY HOGAN'S SWARM HARVESTER" and it will have Cleo Hogan's Ph# on that site and he will give you all the FREE advise you need to make it work.
I contacted Cleo and he emailed me his documents for the trap out hive. I am going to use it. Thanks Russ.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts