Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty!
I have several trap outs to get started this season. That said I want to get things going before I become overwhelmed with every thing else life has in store for me.
This week in North Texas our day time temps are going to be in the 60's to 70's. Night time they will drop to the high 30's but mainly the 40's.
Is this to low to start the trap outs? To help keep the girls warm I was planning on giving them a frame or 1/2 frame of honey from last year. This way they will be able to keep the brood warm that I give them.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Those temps are way below optimal temps. It might work, but, I would wait if possible.

If you are trapping for colony elimination, (people want them gone), then, you may not have a choice,

But, if you are trapping to increase your colony count or sell colonies, I would difinately wait until the colonies have built up more, later in the Spring. At these temps the bees may simply ignore your frame of brood, as they will be busy keeping their own colony alive. In essence, you are splitting the brood nest of the colony and it needs to be strong for them to do this. If you trap too early, you may eliminate the colony you are trying to take starts from. Additionally, the trapping works best when the original brood nest is at or near capacity, and the queen is looking for any new place to lay eggs.

cchoganjr

1 - 2 of 2 Posts