Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a trap out a week ago today. Everything is moving along as expected. Bees are hanging out outside at their original entrance lots of bees entering and making the hive box their new home. Frame of brood I installed last week has 5 emergency queen cells. Now the questions. Is there any reason I should add brood at this point? Will bees continue to be attracted to the hive box? Have I missed anything?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hey DJ,
Adding more brood is up to you. I normally do not as I do not want to take away from any hives that I want to produce honey I normally just add the one frame of brood and let them go.
One thing I have changed with my trap out is. Initially I would stop by one once a week and take several frames of bees away and use them to boost a weaker colony at home. Well now I use a 10 frame deep as my trap out box. Once they are using my box and raising queens for me I will add an internal feeder. Then once the deep box is full of bees I will add a medium ontop of that. A deep and medium has been sufficient enough for the trap outs I have done. I just leave all this in place until the trap out is complete. Once complete I move them under the cover of darkness and set them up in an out yard and all is well. If you are interested I can link you to some of my youtube videos of my trap outs.

Jason

·
Registered
468 Posts
I want to let you know that you need to be able to understand *******. My wife laughed at my videos and stated that my Texas accent seemed to be pretty strong. :)
I am by no means an expert and I only have a few videos of trap outs but here they are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts