Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a man that wants me trap out some bees from a wall. He doesn't want me to tear into the wall hence the trap out. I've never done a trap out but understand how to and my question is could I use bee go to speed up the process? I was thinking of using a screen funnel like a regular trap out but after a few days of the foragers going in the new hive then hit them with bee go to get them to swarm out queen and all. I'm sure it's not going to work exactly like I want but that way he wont kill them. What do you think?
Tim Adams

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I have tried various methods of driving bees out of a wall the most effective way I have used is to outline the entire colony using a stethoscope, then drill a hole into the cavity at the very bottom of the colony and pump smoke in driving them all out.

I tried honey robber and the other chemical bee movers in the past with no luck. Not sure why?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Bee go (as far as I know) doesn't induce swarming. How are you going to get them to swarm? Additionally, how do you plan on introducing the bee go?

The term trap out is used for a slow process, taking a few workers at a time. It often takes several weeks. Trap outs are not intended to be 'quick fixes' or fast removals.

You should also inform the owner that with a trap out, you are removing the bees, but that's it. The comb, the honey, the nectar, the pollen, and everything else remains inside. Most people that trap out will take a strong hive to try and rob it out, but with your Bee Go style, how would you plan on getting all the excess honey out?

Leaving that honey, pollen, and wax will produce a heap load of bugs and critters in his wall, instead of the bees.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got back and heres the deal. Bees are in a half block wall thats only chest high. They are going in a hole that goes all the way through to his patio and is only about 14" off the ground. The home owner doesn't think they have been there that long only 1-2 months. He blocked the hole on the inside of his patio to keep them outside. I think I can trap them out fairly quick because they aren't that strong and I don't think they have alot stored up. If I can't get the queen in a few weeks i might try the smoke or bee go but if not I'll just plug up the hold and let them die off. I don't think they can get out any other way and nothing can't get to the left over comb and honey except maybe ants. Being survivor bees I would like to get the queen but I'm just not sure.
Tim Adams

·
Registered
519 Posts
Do not use Bee-Go! He will smell it for the next 5 years! I spilt some in my barn, and I smelled it longer than that!

·
Registered
358 Posts
pluging hole won't work. If you try it they will find anouther way out. Maybe thru the house. They can eat thru sheet rock. As far as I know I think they eat concrete.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
the strength of the hive is not the issue as much as the time of a brood cycle.
Brood cycle is 3 weeks, it's going to take you 2 brood cycles or longer to trap out, which means minimum 6 weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts