Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Trap Out

Three weeks ago or so I added a frame of eggs to a trap out. Last week on wednesday I peaked in the trap out to see if they had reared any queens. There were 6 to 8 cells most of them had emerged. I found a nice virgin queen walking around on the frame. I closed the trap back up and left. I came back this wednesday (today) to see if she had been mated and was laying yet. I found a queen being balled in the hive. I broke up the battle to watch their reaction. A bee feed the queen and they preceded to ball her. I had a hard time getting a good visual of the queen but it appeared that the tips of her wings had been bitten off. When she did escape from them a few times she ran all around the frame trying to hide but when they cornered her anywhere they would pile up on her again. Why are they doing this to this queen? What should I do? I have already figured on giving them another frame of larva which is no problem I have plenty. Is it possible that multiple queens were kept alive and now that they are getting ready to mate they picked one?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
sounds to me like one of the other 6-8 virgins got mated before the one you see getting balled. give them a few days and start looking for eggs, I bet you have a mated/laying queen in the hive.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update. The queen was still in the hive and they were still balling her every chance they could get her cornered. Her wings are tore up so I'd say mating flight is out. Still no eggs in the hive from her or any other queen. She met my hive tool. I gave them another small frame of eggs. See what they do with it. Any thoughts or suggestions I would love to hear them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Depending on when things happened and all you may have been too early on your checking. Today could be anywhere between day 27 to 32 depending??? I'm with an earlier post to leave them alone for a week and then take a look. So the next time you should be peaking in should be the 16th or 17th of August. You have more than one queen running around in there and the bees will get things figured out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts