Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a trap-out about a week ago. Today, I checked on it, as I have about every other day.... Today, I saw them going BACK IN THROUGH THE EXIT CONE!!!!!! :ws I'm hoping to be able to tighten up the exit a little bit.... anyone have any other advice?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Unravel some of the mesh to create a "hairy" exit. They can squeeze out but not in. The bees have great difficulty returning through this gauntlet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good idea... I used the small plastic escape cones they sell, thought they would work.... I think I'll run a small strip of screening around it tonight... I'll make sure to leave the rough edge poiinting out....

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
748 Posts
If you used a plastic cone (more like a funnel if you will), all you did was to extend their entrance further out.

Make another cone out of #8 hardware cloth, the bees inside will walk out and then can't find their way back in. All they can see is a square pattern and not the hole (think of a basket type minnow trap).

Any pics of your set up?

G3

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Just use some screen wire, plastic or metal. Add it to the end of your cone by wraping it around the current end. Tape the extended cone to the end of the first cone. The longer you make the entension the less likely they will ever get back in through the cone.

Once you have that fixed then you will be able to see where the real "holes" are in your setup. Trust me, I have never gotten one to work on the first try. Most of my trapouts take 5 or 6 attempts before I finally get it where bees cannot get back into their hive (tree, bldg, etc.). Bees are very persistant.

I can't tell you how many times I was sure I had all bases covered only to be skunked by bees. :scratch:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts