Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I browsed through a couple of similar named posts but could not find the answer to my specific question. Important is, that the queen cells have been just capped (so it is day 9 in development or day 6 after grafting).

Then I bring my queen cells to an incubator about 3 miles away from the yard (bumpy road) - I got a padded and heat controlled transport box.

My question also from a biological point of view: How should these 9 day old cells be transported (in terms of orientation of the cell)?
In the past I had some problems while transporting them in the "natural" orientation on the bumpy road - I had the feeling that some larvae have been "shook" to much and fell to the tip of the cell and died.

Would it make sense to transport the cells "upside" down during transport (it is clear that they are the normal orientation in the incubator). Or is this not clever because the stretching larvae might "drown" in the cell cup during the bumpy transport (20 to 30 min)?

Would be happy to get your thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Chris.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Hi Chris - because I'm getting on in years my memory can be rubbish at times, so I've taken to keeping a file near to hand which contains (what I consider to be) important data. The entry for Queen Development reads as follows:

#################

Queen development stages:
-------------------------
Day 0-3 . . . . . . Egg
Day 4-8 . . . . . . Open larvae (5 days)
Day 8 +/-1 . . . . Q/Cell capped
Day 10 . . . . . . . Larva pupates
Day 14 . . . . . . . Wings develop
Day 15 . . . . . . . Final moult to adult
Day 15-16 . . . . . Emerges from cell

Critical times are first 3 days of larval feeding which determines the queen quality; at 8-10 days the larva must not be dislodged from food or will die; days 14-16 if chilled or shaken wings may be damaged.

If moving queen cells, best done between days 11 and 13 inclusive.

#################

I aim to move Q/Cells as near to Day 12 as possible, although that can be difficult to judge if/when natural cells are involved - but then mine don't face anything like the journey which you've described. :)

I'm sure there are others here who also face 'bumpy journeys', so I'll leave them to provide expert advice ...
'best,
LJ

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,884 Posts
Thinking outside the question here, but if bumpy roads are the issue, bring the starter/finisher(s) to the incubator location first, graft, and then hand carry the cell bars with the cells to your incubator as.soon as the cells are capped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Chris - because I'm getting on in years my memory can be rubbish at times, so I've taken to keeping a file near to hand which contains (what I consider to be) important data. The entry for Queen Development reads as follows:

#################

Queen development stages:
-------------------------
Day 0-3 . . . . . . Egg
Day 4-8 . . . . . . Open larvae (5 days)
Day 8 +/-1 . . . . Q/Cell capped
Day 10 . . . . . . . Larva pupates
Day 14 . . . . . . . Wings develop
Day 15 . . . . . . . Final moult to adult
Day 15-16 . . . . . Emerges from cell

Critical times are first 3 days of larval feeding which determines the queen quality; at 8-10 days the larva must not be dislodged from food or will die; days 14-16 if chilled or shaken wings may be damaged.

If moving queen cells, best done between days 11 and 13 inclusive.

#################

I aim to move Q/Cells as near to Day 12 as possible, although that can be difficult to judge if/when natural cells are involved - but then mine don't face anything like the journey which you've described. :)

I'm sure there are others here who also face 'bumpy journeys', so I'll leave them to provide expert advice ...
'best,
LJ
Dear LJ,

thanks for your reply. But this exactly my knowledge. As you say on day 9 (as you say day 8 +/- 1 day (often it is + 1 day)) the larvae is dislodged from food then it dies:

In conclusion if I take them out on day 9 (right after capping) to move to the incubator then they should be transported "tip to the top" since food is on the bottom of the cup? (Or do I miss here something?)

Unfortunately bringing the starter/finisher to my house is not an option.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Dear LJ,

thanks for your reply. But this exactly my knowledge. As you say on day 9 (as you say day 8 +/- 1 day (often it is + 1 day)) the larvae is dislodged from food then it dies:
As I understand the situation, the advantage of moving on Day 12 is that the pupating larvae is no longer reliant on food, and so it's no longer critical should the pupa be dislodged slightly from that food.

BTW, back in the 1960's the company I worked for received some highly fragile electronic components which were in the form of glass globes the size of a small football. These were transported inside skeleton crates which had bungees running from all 8 corners, so that the globe was loosely suspended in the centre of the crate. It travelled halfway around the world like that.

I wonder if something similar would work to suspend a small box filled with cotton-wool and holding queen-cells - if needs be, on their sides ? I know it sounds like quite a production making such an arrangement - but you'd only need make it once.
'best
LJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, back in the 1960's the company I worked for received some highly fragile electronic components which were in the form of glass globes the size of a small football. These were transported inside skeleton crates which had bungees running from all 8 corners, so that the globe was loosely suspended in the centre of the crate. It travelled halfway around the world like that.
Since we are on the same "queen timing" page: Now I wonder if I just should transport them "tip to the top" during the drive and invert them for maturing in the incubator :scratch:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts