Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting my first new packages next week. It’s about an hour away and I’ll be driving my pickup (with a bed cover). Should I cover the Packages with anything to keep the bees warm on the ride home? Put them in a box... just put them in the bed? Thanks

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
I checked your weather. If doing it during the main part of the day your temps will be fine on the back of a truck, but don't sit still too long with direct sun on them, keep moving so they don't overheat. Other than that don't let them get blasted by too much wind and you will be fine.

OH, what is a bed cover? A cover you will put over the whole thing? If so be careful they do not overheat, would pay to leave an opening in such a way you'll get air circulating through.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’m getting my first new packages next week. It’s about an hour away and I’ll be driving my pickup (with a bed cover). Should I cover the Packages with anything to keep the bees warm on the ride home? Put them in a box... just put them in the bed? Thanks
Hi Champy, I only have experience with 4 packages, but each one rode in the back seat of my car just fine, no wind and no cold. Some people suggest a delicates laundry bag around the package as an extra precaution when having them in the interior of the car.
Good luck and enjoy package installation!

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I carried a package in the backseat of my SUV once. Only had a few loose bees for the 45 min ride home. The laundry bag is a good idea. Buy a few at wally world for about $3 each. I have used them too and they work great on my small swarm traps.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Heat is a bigger problem than cold. Just as long as is not hot with sun I would put them in the bed of the truck. Maybe with the tail gate down if you’re cover will let you.

·
Registered
11,683 Posts
That will work. Put them in the shaded part, leave that bit open as per your pic, and drive so there's air circulating, you'll be good.

Only, keep the packages seperated from each other so there is good ventilation for them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts