Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking fifty double deep nucs from Ohio to South Carolina tomorrow. Though it is freezing up here, the temps in the south are much better. I will be hauling them on a trailer with a wind-break on the front and some tarps pulled across the top.
Is there anything else I should be worrying about? I like moving some bees when it is cold I am just not 100% sure when moving these bees this far when it's this cold.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
BMAC just moved his bees from NY down to GA a couple weeks ago did not sound like he had any problems. Send him a PM I'm sure he can answer any questions.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
If you don't stop they should stay in from what I gather. You netting them or sealing them in? If sealing becare for the they don't over heat.
David

·
Registered
48 Posts
Beware of any abrupt changes in temperature. A friend was bringing home a trailer full of hives he split in Fla last winter, and ran into some bad storms coming back north in April. He lost half the load. Evidently, as the weather got worse, it was raining (which didn't bother my friend), but there was a huge drop in temps. He figured they'd keep going and they'd get into better weather. That didn't happen. He found out later that if they had stopped periodically to let the bees adjust and cluster, most of them would have been ok. The hives they lost, the bees were stuck on the frames. As he said, Oh good, I've discovered another way to kill my bees.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
My only concern is the air flow. I would screen off the hive entrance to allow air flow in. Secure them
tightly without much movement on transport.
Then cover them with an old sleeping bag rated for the snow temp. while in transport. Bring a
buddy if you have one for the long driving hours. Check for the weather forecast for the next
few days to see what is out there and adjust accordingly. Good luck! I think you all will be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts