Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to move some larvae from a yard about 10 miles away to my cell starter. I thought about grafting there and moving them in a incubator or just making a nuc and grafting at my cell starter. What method works best for you?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have put them in a cooler with hot water bottles or even gallon jugs of hot water. I have ot had any problem. The nuc sounds like it would be a little more trouble. The incubator will work if you have a way to power it in the truck.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The trick is to keep them warm and not let the larva dry out. Wrap with a warm, moist towel. But, why not move your cell starter to the yard you're grafting from?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could move them but I want my cells here at my home where I can monitor them. If I move them I will have to drive 20 miles every time I get ready to manipulate them. I am using the cloake method. It is just more convenient to me to have them here.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
You could also move your queen mother(s) to where your cell starter(s) are. I keep my mother queens in nucs (so they don't have to work as hard), immediately adjacent to my cell starter/builder/finishers, and even my mating nucs and mating nuc condo's are right there, too.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Michael, I bought some 5 frame nuc queen excluders. Was thinking I could put queen in 5 frame nuc, then excluder, then second box. Could work it like a cloake board and move capped brood down and open brood up. Put an empty frame in bottom when I need eggs for larva.

Johnny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts