Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to transport a newly swarmed colony of bees in two supers about 45 min in the truck of a car. If I cover the top and bottom with plywood will they make the trip wo ventilation?

·
Registered
549 Posts
When I had to transport bees for the first time, I was fortunate that I called a local beekeeper supply guy and asked what I needed. I was clueless about moving them and what to watch for etc. His wife answered the phone and told me I needed to come and get a couple of screens. So simple, and I was glad I called. It is a nice boxlike thing covered in screen that covers a standard langstroth opening while still allowing in and out movement by crawling and airflow.. I just duct taped them in place at night and it was easy peasy. I bought a smoker, brush, and hive tool also.

I took some water in a spray bottle to get some of them off the porch. This was another bit of info I got from the locals.

If you do not have the screen boxes, you can staple or duct tape some over the opening. Besure to strap the boxes to the bottom board and each other if they are more than a box high. I would not completely close up the trunk lid.

When I moved mine, I waited until early the next morning to remove the screens after they had settled down.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I say no way would they make it. From another perspective, if you were in a box in a trunk with no ventillation for 45 minutes in 75-80 degree weather...... you get my drift right?
I transport cutout bees in hives every weekend pretty much. I simply screen off the front of the hive using ten or so staples and run a screened inner cover (with no notch). Ratchet strap it all together and haul it in the back seat of the truck with entrance facing forward.
No issues yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts