Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I recently purchased a nuc and to my surprise it came in a shallow box. I transferred the shallow frames into a shallow box that I had on hand (usually use for supers) but I would prefer to have a deep brood box on the bottom and a shallow super on top. Curious if there is a way to transition from shallow frames to deep frames in my bottom box now that my hive is all set up and thriving already?

Thanks!
Clementine

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I would add the deep boxes under the shallow box every time you add a new box. The bees should move down and fill the upper boxes with honey/syrup as it hatches out and moves up.

p.s. Where did you get a shallow nuc? Was it advertised/sold this way because this is more like 1/2 of a nuc since a shallow frame is about 1/2 the height of a deep.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
put the queen in the bottom deep box and a QE between the 2 ?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
... or chequer-board (IOIOIO etc) the shallow frames in-between pre-drawn deep frames, and - over time - move them to the sides of the brood-box before finally removing them.
Wild comb will almost certainly be drawn below the shallow frames - simply cut that off after frame removal. There is a way of preventing such comb from being drawn, but for just the one job it probably isn't worth the hassle involved.
LJ

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Just add the deep box above the shallow. When the bees want to expand they will draw the comb in the upper and move the brood nest up. If you are not in a nectar flow you will need to feed to cause the bees to make comb. When the bees have established the brood nest in both boxes place the shallow above the deep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts