Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a hive that uses handmade deep frames (using what seems to be a mix of wax and plastic foundation), in a non standard home made hivebody. I'd guess its about 13 or 14 frame?

The hivebody is actually much more of a box as the bottom is attached to it. What I liked about the bees is that they were survivor stock. The guys is a very no frills, no treatment, let them requeen themselves old fellow.

Now what I think I'd like to do is transfer them eventually into an all medium setup, so I first plan to put some medium frames into the original non-standard hive body and let the bees start drawing those out.

Then I'll:

Put the mediums into a medium hivebody, and start taking frames and brushing bees into the medium one by one. Once I have the bees in, I'll cut out the deep frames and attack them to mediums with twine as well.

Then leave the new medium where the original box had sat.

Is this an utterly horrible idea? If not, should I cut the deep frames in half so I can attack two partial combs to the medium frames? Or should I cut it so one piece will fill a medium frame entirely and the other is just a couple inches?

Looking for ideas from more experienced people

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
just cut and rubberband it like a cutout. with a medium in a deep body, they'll just build comb under it. treat like a cutout, or find the queen and shake'em out into a standard box with only one rubberbanded frame of brood and a inner feeder and 9 frames of foundation. good luck,mike

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be wasteful to not use their current drawn comb as I don't have a store of it.

Still, if the general consensus is don't bother letting them fill out a few medium frames and just cut down the ones they have now that saves time. (I knew they'd likely build comb along the bottom of the medium too, but that's even easier to cut off and attach to a new frame (no foundation to go through).

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
its not wasteful if you recycle the beeswax :) you might be surprised at how fast they'll build comb, and replacing comb with foundation is standard practice for many beekeeps concerned about contamination in the wax. good luck,mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts