Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, I'm new to the forum and beekeeping and this may have been covered before, sorry. I built a warre hive, I now have been given a swarm in a possum box (I live in Australia)with comb in it. The possum box is a smaller surface than the warre but much taller. My initial thought was to make a "lid" for the warre with a decent hole in it, remove the bottom of the possum box and secure it on that lid. That way, I do not disturb the exisiting combs, and hopefully , in time , they will start building onto the warre frames underneath. Is that a good idea ??

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
beeleebob:

Given that you have not yet received a reply to your inquiry I thought I would chime in.

You refer to a 'possum box'- I assume you are referring to a ringtail possum box something like this?

If so, I could see approaching this one of two ways:

1. A Cut-Out- Assuming the comb is not too badly interlocked and given that it is fairly early in the season, you could consider cutting the comb out and attaching it to frames like you might do in a conventional cut-out.

2. Nadir the Box- As you suggested, you could build an adaptor to this box which creates a communication hole between the bottom of the possum box and the top of your Warre. Then, by closing off the existing entrance(s) to the possum box, you could begin rerouting traffic through the Warre and eventually remove the possum box when it becomes effectively a honey super.

Hopefully there will be others who will offer their thoughts as well- and do let us know what you decide to do. I for one will be interested to see how this one turns out.

Russ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts