Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son and I worked six hours today doing a cutout/extraction from a collapsed tractor tire that was stacked in a huge pile of old tires.

Must have been 10s of thousands of bees in that tire. 75% filled with comb, a significant portion of which was not being used. The bee vac worked like a charm.

Must have sucked up 60,000 bees or so. It was huge. Thousands of bees left around the tire. We didn't even try to get all the comb out.

A tremendous amount of the comb was warped due to the shape of the tire. As such, it was very difficult to get clean, straight pieces of brood comb. Did manage 5-6 frames of solid brood though. Would have managed much more brood comb but it was so badly warped as to be unusable.

Very little honey in the other combs.

Boxed all the girls up and transfered out to my bee yard. Have no idea if I got the queen or not. Plan on requeening anyway. Only got stung one time. My son didn't get hit at all.

I'm exhausted. Kuddos to my son who was a super trooper to help. He was right beside me doing everything I was doing. We had to take turns working the bee vac. It was exhausting work.

Overall, very excited about the process and I feel it to be a success.

As tired as we both were, my son turns to me and grins behind his veil and said:

"That was FUN"! :applause::applause::applause:

Waiting for the hot water tank to reheat. Need to soak. My wife says I hobby myself to death.

http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/ad221/beekeeper1756/?action=view&current=IMG_1417.jpg
http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/ad221/beekeeper1756/?action=view&current=IMG_1413.jpg
http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/ad221/beekeeper1756/?action=view&current=IMG_1413.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's great! I was wondering how this would go for you. Also glad you got to it a day early. Congrats!

So was the rest of the comb good enough to be harvested for wax though?

So what is you vac set up? I think I want to build one but don't know much about them yet.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of the comb I left was whiter in color and old. Would that be worth trying to go back and get to melt down for wax? I hadn't thought about going for the wax. I was after bees, comb and honey in that order.

I suppose I need to build a homemade solar wax melter out of a styrofoam box if I'm going to go back for the old comb.

Lots and lots of bees left from this cutout, numbering in the thousands to be sure. I can't count all of those little heads so I just counted all the feet and divided by six real quick like. LOL. I have no doubt there are thousands of bees left.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
822 Posts
I would go back and get the comb for wax and vac up the rest of the bees and start a nuc with them. All you need is a frame with eggs or order an extra queen.

It doesn't take much to melt bees wax and that would be another good father/son project. I can remember when I built my first one, it was more like a son/father project since I made it and dad was more interested in it than me. That was years ago and the melter got eaten by termites one year. Almost got the next one put together.

Sounds like it was a great day spent with your son, one he will talk about for a long time to come, nothing better than good memories and good times.

No pics??

G3

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bees that are left are predominantly nursery bees. Calm but boy there are thousands of them left.

How can I go back once I collect these bees, turn them into their own colony? The nurse bees that I collect the second time around will not have any broodcomb to look after.

What would keep them from just absconding?

I can put them on frames of foundation but would that be enough to hold them?

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
822 Posts
If you have another hive give them a frame of brood and a frame of honey.

or

Combine them in with another colony using newspaper.

G3

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My current nuc/colonies have about 5,000 bees. I'm positive there are at least 8K-10K bees left. If I combine them with one of my nucs, will it overpower the nuc and/or possibly kill my Goldline queen?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts