Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I wanted to ask how much are your bees and honey production affected if one of your neighbors has a grow lab in their back yard?

I'm not growing anything I shouldn't. But one of my neighbors and I had a driveway discussion by accident in which they told me the other neighbor down the street from us had been arrested for having a secret grow lab in his backyard (for MJ). The arrest had happened a few weeks before then in which we'd seen like 10 or 12 cop cars on the street but none of us knew why. They had found out and then told me in this driveway discussion while I was taking out the trash.

I'm curious how this would affect honey production if I'd been next door to someone like that with my hives?

And what do you guys do about this stuff?

I'm pretty sure things like this happen to people. And we can't stop beekeeping over it obviously. In theory, I suppose if you are in town at any given time there might be something like this within range of your foragers. (The foragers dilemma?)

Although maybe it won't be anything if there's other things for the foragers to notice (?)

I never thought I'd be worrying about this in beekeeping.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,540 Posts
I suspect that you are fine. I am not an expert but the guy that owns this company (I think it was this company) did a presentation at our local bee club a while ago Hemp & CBD Honey FAQ's | Colorado Hemp Honey

If I remember right hemp is a poor nectar producer and he lost several hives that he put in a hemp field from starvation his first year doing this. The pollination increased the hemp yield but the bees need supplemental feeding every year after the first one.

I believe MJ is close to hemp, so this is why I think honey is fine. I do not know about the pollen though.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
So...I wanted to ask how much are your bees and honey production affected if one of your neighbors has a grow lab in their back yard?

I'm not growing anything I shouldn't. But one of my neighbors and I had a driveway discussion by accident in which they told me the other neighbor down the street from us had been arrested for having a secret grow lab in his backyard (for MJ). The arrest had happened a few weeks before then in which we'd seen like 10 or 12 cop cars on the street but none of us knew why. They had found out and then told me in this driveway discussion while I was taking out the trash.

I'm curious how this would affect honey production if I'd been next door to someone like that with my hives?

I'm pretty sure things like this happen to people. And we can't stop beekeeping over it obviously. In theory, I suppose if you are in town at any given time there might be something like this within range of your foragers. (The foragers dilemma?)

Although maybe it won't be anything if there's other things for the foragers to notice (?)

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Only thing you might not like is the smell ..... gross. I was looking at a property and had to drive by an old Mill. dead skunk smell, turned out it was a legal growing operation. No way I want to live near that. Just like I can't wait to leave where I am due to the smoking of said grow goes on here Way too often. Not everyone likes that stench and for some of us it sets off a Migraine

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suspect that you are fine. I am not an expert but the guy that owns this company (I think it was this company) did a presentation at our local bee club a while ago Hemp & CBD Honey FAQ's | Colorado Hemp Honey

If I remember right hemp is a poor nectar producer and he lost several hives that he put in a hemp field from starvation his first year doing this. The pollination increased the hemp yield but the bees need supplemental feeding every year after the first one.

I believe MJ is close to hemp, so this is why I think honey is fine. I do not know about the pollen though.
Interesting thought to think about the pollen and honey separate.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My LATE hubby grew, the pollen from the boys is very fine, the plants pollinate via the wind. Notice the LATE hubby. Never saw any bug on the buds, bees, etc. Way back then I was not a bee keep, he had a small garden in our back yard, like two-three plants.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
Takes a Million flower visits to produce 1 table spoon of honey, A back yard full of any plant is 1/10 of 1 percent of the honey in a hive, takes "Acres" of stuff to have an impact.

GG

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
The real concern is your neighborhood rating/reputation.
That is the concern.
Honey and bees - the least concern.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Fwiw, bees actually do like flowers from male MJ plants. That said, there's no possible way MJ pollen will have any noticeable effect on honey. THC doesn't work that way.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Here is an article that appeared in Bee Culture regarding bees and cannabis. No nectar, some pollen, maybe some resins used in propolis. The cannabis plant is not designed to attract bees.

Reactions: Gypsi

·
Registered
54 Posts
There would be no affect. Most pot that is grown are clones from clippings not male or female. Therefore the bushes don't produce seeds or flowers. It's that simple. Bees aren't attracted to the plants. It's just a guess that growers who were producing males and females would not want bees pollinating their plants. Growers who are creating strains grow indoors and keep pollinators around their plants.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Can I get some of your Honey!? Sounds like he gifted you with a more marketable product lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Only thing you might not like is the smell ..... gross. I was looking at a property and had to drive by an old Mill. dead skunk smell, turned out it was a legal growing operation. No way I want to live near that. Just like I can't wait to leave where I am due to the smoking of said grow goes on here Way too often. Not everyone likes that stench and for some of us it sets off a Migraine
People who think weed smells bad haven’t smoked it. Once you smoke it, your brain tricks you into thinking skunk smell now smells good due to the association with positive feelings from being high. Now when I drive down the road and smell a skunk, I think ‘****, somebody’s smoking some good ****!’

·
Registered
95 Posts
MJ growing is legal here in WA, but the utter lack of anything bees would desire to get from the plants leaves no need for concern having a grow near an apiary.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts