Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my embarassment my neighbor asked me what the bees were doing up in a naked tree this time of year. I had not realized that they were there. The photos were taken Jan 6, 2010. We have had a few nights down to 30F, but lots of nights below 40F. We have also had one storm that dropped 4 inches of rain over 24 hrs. And still they survive !! Right now the highs are 55-60F and 2 out of 3 bees returning to the hive are loaded with pollen.

Happy New Year -- Fuzzy

http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab239/JRfuzzy/Bee_pics/

·
Registered
359 Posts
Those pics are amazing. I read in George Imirie's "Pink Pages" that a researcher put hives of bees in a walk in freezer and kept them at -60 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 days.....and they survived!!

In your post, you said they got a cold rain and made it...wow.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fortunately I'm pretty sure where they came from... One of my two hives that swarmed last year. I've got 3 people lined up to come get them. I would think about it but I don't need more bees.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Man those are some tuff bee's you got over here.
We've had temps down to 26 in concord. Last few weeks have been in the 36 range

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Looks like the tree is budding out."

NAH.. that one won't bud out for at least another month. Now the almonds... that's another story. I'm guessing that the buds will open by the end of next week. Then the rush is on to swarm season.

Fuzzy

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think I would leave them there. They seem to be doing nicely. Let them add to the local bee population instead of some beek grabbing them and doing things to them that will probably only make them weaker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts