Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is a good day for the bee's flight. However, when I went outside to dump a bucket of table veggie scraps on my compost bin, I found thousands of bees instead ! Wow ! They're all over used coffee grounds, veggie scraps and whatever else is out there. I guess the answer to my other posting question is: Yes, they could use some pollen granules right now and indeed they're ready to begin the season without me.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Maybe its just the moisture or some of the sugars in the table scraps.

I don't see any of it as a reliable source of Food/Pollen/Nectar for the bees.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe so. I used the Mtn. Camp method for both hives, however still got the hive top water stations. Water too cold ? Why just the veggies ? The rest of the ground is soaked & muddy from the thaw. I could add a bit of water to the dry mix... I'll do that tomorrow along with add some pollen granules.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Sounds like you have some "Dumpster diving bees" on your hands. I have seen them in my compost bin at times in previous years.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My bees have been all over my bird feeders that have sunflower seeds. My father in law and I were chipping apple tree limbs and they were into that as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A compost bin is always decomposing, producing heat. Maybe they like the warmer moisture it produces. I have seen them on my coffee grounds also. There was an article out recently about how honey bees prefer nectar with caffeine and nicotine in it. Maybe they are liking the caffeine?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've heard they sometimes collect minerals they need from compost.
Must be. Last year they could not stay out of my seedlings. For about a month they were in those containers daily- in the dirt. I am also seeing them sucking water out of dirt (or at least I presume that is what they are doing).
This year, I see them at the bird feeder, and millet on the bottom board. Got some fun photos of that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts