Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received notice today that in a few weeks by county road commission will be spraying an herbicide in my area - Tordon 22K. Is anyone familiar with this product and has any suggestions about whether or not to confine bees on days when they are actively spraying? And if so, what method have folks used to confine their bees in the past? I can imagine it getting really warm inside the hive on a hot summer day if the bees can't get out and aren't able to ventilate properly. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Tordon 22K is a herbicide used mostly for tough broadleaf weeds, woody plants, trees & as stump killer, but it has lasting effects in the soil.. If they are not careful spraying, you should be very concerned about vegetation that may catch drift. I'm not sure of it's effect on insects or bees.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
With insecticide spraying you can notify them of your location and they won't spray there. some use signs they give you. maybe same with this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Tordon 22K / Confinement

With insecticide spraying you can notify them of your location and they won't spray there. some use signs they give you. maybe same with this?
Yes, I'm told that they will avoid my personal property, but they're not going to avoid the entire forage area surrounding me. Best they offered is to notify me of when the spraying would occur.

The chemical in question is an herbicide - not strictly speaking an insecticide. I've seen conflicting information about whether or not it would be harmful to the bees. Assuming I decide to play it safe and confine them, going back to the original question, what methods of confinement have people used successfully in the past?

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,275 Posts

Moving screens are the best because they do not interfer with hive ventilation. Wet sheets are also a good alternative for short durations. If you have SBB, you can simply close off the opening with a 3/4" x 3/4" piece of wood, like a solid entrance reducer, and the bees will be fine for a day. Register your hive locations on Beecheck https://beecheck.org/signup#beekeeper and you should be notified anytime spraying is to take place. Michigan is a participating state.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it ive sprayed atlot of herbicide this year at my work. Chato and cornerstone plus mainly for weed control around thornless blackberries had to spray it right over top of bees foraging dead nettle in the early spring with no ill effects. I think its a waste of time covering or doing anything with hives they will be fine alot of herbicide is sprayed around my bee yard near house everyone sprays 24d for buttercups and probably bisep mangium or somthing like that for weed control in corn and roundup in soybeans right acroos the street i wouldnt worry about tordon 22k killing bees

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

unless your bees are all foraging on whatever they are spraying i wouldnt worry about it. plant spraying is direct and not like a fogger for mosquitos that goes everywhere. imo you can do more damage confining them for the whole day waiting for them to come. you can weed wack any flowers in the area they will be spraying to ensure your bees are not interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts