Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to use top jar feeders. I have not seen any lids with holes in the top from any of the suppliers. Is this a matter of cutting a hole in a migratory lid to fit the jar lid. Any direction for how to accomplish this set up would be appreciated.

·
Banned
840 Posts
Is this a matter of cutting a hole in a migratory lid to fit the jar lid
While manufactured solutions can be nice for some folks, I would say what you posted is one of the simpler ways to to accomplish this.

I make a circle like that by drawing the circle to cut out first, then use a drill to get an opening, then use a jigsaw, using said drill hole as a starting point, to cut out the circle from the inside.

Big Bear

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you have a drill press? Do a search for a circle cutter at Harbor Freight. I'm not a big fan of Harbor Freight tools but the cutter with 2 blades they sell does a good job. Cost around 6.00$ I think.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I use some top feeders. Only problem and it not really a probelm. When you remove the feeder most of the time bees are still on the jar. I have caused a hive or two to get really upset. Other problem, if you dont use a big jar it wil get sucked down quick by the bees. I use this method to feed bee here at my house. But yard that are away I use large front entrance feeders.
I got a hole cutter from Lowes to make the top cuts............

·
Registered
723 Posts
I use the 2 and 4 qt versions of this. Bought the originals at Kelley's then made my own. Just place on top of the inner cover, surround with an empty box and I'm done. And it's nice not having to worry about the occassional hot head bee when when I switch out the jars!

https://products.kelleybees.com/wtkprod/detail.aspx?item=1101

·
Registered
456 Posts
I got mine at home depot around 4.00 as far as lids dadant's got them they cost more then canning lids but have lot better seal. cutting out with jig saw will not give you a good seal in your lids. rain will get in. use the small nail that come with your frames one that goes in to the cleat bar. 2 holes is plenty only poke just the tip thru
remember if you fill the jar watch the temps they will freeze and break
Don

·
Banned
840 Posts
I don't think he's talking about the lid to the jar. I thought he was talking about the cover to the hive.

Big Bear

·
Banned
840 Posts
Mathis is right also, they do have some hole saw blades that are big enough to run from a drill.

I just like to do things the drawn out way I guess. LOL.

Big Bear

·
Registered
410 Posts
Use a 2 litter soda bottle with small holes punched in the cap as your feeder bottle. Calls for a much smaller hole in your lid. A cork can be used to fill the hole when feeder not in use.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've tried using 2 liter bottles with light syrup. One small hole in the plastic cap, burped the bottle once inverted, but when the sun warms the bottle all the syrup runs out. Any advice?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Solder a 3/16-copper tube 3/4-1 inch in length -to a mason jar lid-once you have the lid made you can use it on many different size jars -from pint to gallon and in-between .the hole required for this is only 1/4inch bees will deal with that on there own -dont make the tube to long-RDY-B

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
If you order in quantity some suppliers will predrill them for you. I got a hundred migratory nuc covers predrilled to fit a standard mason jar lid last fall. Or, if you only have a few, as suggested here, a good hole saw will do the job.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If the syrup pours out, your holes are too big. The first time I saw 2 liter bottles used, it was in a commercial yard of 100 hives. Endless supply, get the hole size right and they won't blow off when empty and no cleaning as with buckets. If syrup goes bad, throw them away.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
An alternative that hasn't been mentioned is to put some strips(about 3/8 inch) directly on the top bars. These keep the holes available for the bees. Then you can put more than one jar or up to a 2 gallon pail feeder. Then put an empty deep super over this. Add some pollen sub while you're at it.

dickm

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Here are some pics of some I made this weekend. Migratory top, 2 3/4" hole saw.

·
Registered
507 Posts
MABee,

I had the same problem (sun heating the airspace and causing the bottle/jar to leak. I made a surrounding cover for the inverted bottle out of aluminum foil and it seems to have solved the problem (though I have not yet tested in summer, on the other hand, I don't expect to be feeding in summer!).

-fafrd

1 - 20 of 22 Posts