Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Carniolan hive is doing well and since the flow started about two weeks ago they have filled (not completely capped) two honey supers. I decided to add a third one yesterday (sadly, they will have to draw the comb on foundation first).

The hive is 10 frame with two deeps on the bottom, then a queen excluder, then the two supers. I was wondering if:

A - I should just put the other super on top the two I have and let them work it (queen excluder still in place)
B - Put the new super on top of the deeps with a queen excluder above it so they can access it better
C - Put the new super in-between the two nearly full supers (and hope the lack of comb pisses them off so they draw it) which is what I did :D.

I have read that queen excluders sometimes deter bees from going through if there is nothing up there. I assumed that with two supers nearly full that they would still go through it and draw comb and fill the third one. I have also drilled 1.25" holes in the front of these supers to give the bees outside access (which they have been using).

What would most of you do about this?!? :eek:

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I've always been under the assumption that undrawn foundation is best "bottom supered" to get them to draw it out since they have to travel across it to access the comb they are working. Even then, though, if it's just fresh foundation, it can take them a long time to get started. I've had better luck with putting a couple drawn and capped or paritally capped frames in the new box and the empty frames above them in the center of the filled box.

If the flow is tapering off, though, they may just draw some shallow spots and chew the foundation, they can't store anything in it if they don't have much coming in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts