Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a good nectar flow right now the bees have all of the supers with drawn comb almost full. I am going to add another super with foundation. Would it be best to place the supers with foundation over the brood nest with the supers of honey on top?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have read foundation/foundationless should be supered over the brood nest.
As far as I know you can always under-super (comb producer do it). Over-supering is just easier.

Mike

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I think I'd super it on top, but swap out a frame with the super under it to use as a bait frame to get them up and drawing more evenly. This way works well and is easier on me back.

Supering on the bottom is for helping to reduce travel stains on comb honey production, and I'd swap a frame with the box above it as a bait frame when doing it this way. When they get the top super capped, pull it to get the comb while it's white, adding the new super on the bottom.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to bait the supers with a frame and bottom super. The basswoods and sour woods are blooming so they might make a few frames of comb honey if they don't completely fill them. I have another hive that is already top supered with foundation I'll watched and see which they draw out the quickest. Thank everyone for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts