Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting one of these. Trying to save shipping cost I email my local bee supply store to see if he could order it for me. This is his reply.

we don't carry this pollen trap. I tried them when they first came out. The bees glue the drawer with propolis.
Both hives that I used em on in different locations got robbed. Robber bees just went through the trap and took all the honey and killed the hive.
We do have the bottom mount you can have for $65
Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!
Bill

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have two but only used them for one year and I didn't have the problems related to you. They are going on in a few weeks and we will see.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I suspect your local dealer has never seen a Sundance Top Mount trap. First, bees cannot get to any part of the drawer to apply propolis. Second, I have never heard of robbers being a problem with any Sundance trap, and I have never had robbing as a personal experience. It doesn't make sense that they would be. The traps are designed so that bees can only go through them slowly...which is not what a robber wants to encounter.
I also question whether the bottom mount the dealer mentioned is a Sundance trap. Unfortunately, the only dealers in California who buy from us are Dadant and Sacramento Bee Supply. (We'd love to have more.) If he is buying a trap from a dealer that we sell to direct, I don't know how he could possibly sell it for $65.

The top mount trap yields what may be the cleanest pollen of any trap in the world, but one needs to be diligent about the use of top entrances to use it properly. The top mount trap also yields the same amount of pollen as a bottom mount, about 50% of what the bees are bringing in.

Please let us know if we can address any further questions.

Lloyd

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.

Lloyd,

Thanks for the information! I will drive to Sacramento Bee Supply. I didn't know they sold them, all it says on their website is
"Pollen traps, various styles:$47.95 - 75.95".

I told my local guy that I would buy the bottom trap at that price. How can I tell if its a genuine Sundance?
I have never seen one in real life, only pictures. If it is not a Sundance I will not buy it. I only want the best.:)

Thanks!
Bill

·
Registered
52 Posts
How to tell if a Sundance Pollen Trap is genuine:

1. Compare to pictures. Both the Kelley and Betterbee catalogs have excellent pictures.
2. Look for instructions that we prepare. We put them in the drawer of every trap we ship.
3. Buy from a reputable dealer; which most of them are.

Thanks for the compliment. We DO try hard.

Lloyd

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for that Lloyd!

I ordered the top mount one from Dadant. They are shipping for $13.

The bottom mount one from this local guy does not look genuine to me.

1. Every picture I have seen they either have 8 or 10 holes. The two traps on display had 9 holes. Did you ever make them with 9 holes?
2. No instructions in the drawer. At least the drawer i could open, someone put the other drawer in upside down and it was stuck really good. The drawer that did open grated really badly on the screen inside.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well it is hard to say 'never', I would have difficulty believing we ever made a trap with nine escapes. It also sounds as if the drawer glides were either missing or were made improperly...

I knew a guy in Fresno was trying to make knock off's, but he is a long ways away. I think you were smart to order from Dadant. If you don't all ready have top entrances please follow directions very carefully.

Lloyd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts