Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just set up my hives and am awaiting my first package of bees (I'm getting two). I got top hive feeders. Does the telescoping inner cover got deeper side down, or up? Also, how do the bees get to the syrup? I see those little grid things that snapped in along the back and front edges, do the bees crawl up through the grid? Doesn't the telescoping cover on top prevent them from crawling through the grid? How does this work?

·
Registered
302 Posts
When you install the top feeder you remove the inner cover and use the feeder. Set your top feeder on the brood box, set an empty box on and around the feeder, install your inner cover next and then your top. Is your inner cover notched for ventilation? Make sure you put screen over any openings above the feeder, bees will enter any openings and drown in the syrup, the bees have to enter from the under side of the feeder just like you described. You do need some ventilation above the feeder, you can drill a hole or couple of them in your top box and screen from the inside. You can screen the opening on the inner cover also and place a stick or something under your top cover to allow a crack. I would make sure to have ventilation and make sure it is screened. Hope this makes sense, I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Put the feeder directly onto the deep or medium box you install your package in. No inner cover just cover it with the outer cover. The bees come up through the bottom of the feeder into the grid things and access the syrup through the small space on the inside of the grid. They can not come through it.

Also don't fill the feeder full when you install your package. An inch of syrup is enough. You need to be able to take the feeder off without spilling it every where, when checking for queen release and later inspections.
You can check this type feeder to see if they need more just by lifting the outer cover off and adding more when needed without disturbing the bee's and they can't come through the feeder so they can't get to you.

Hope this helps!

Mike S's way sounds better for ventilation but is a lot more work. The outer cover directly on the feeder may cause condensation and possibly even some mold but I haven't found it to adversely effect the bee's.

Good luck with the new package bee's!:)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Also when you remove it to inspect your bees be carfeful when you sit it down, there will be bees still under it and dont squish em :cry: I just sit on the empty box you removed. There will still be bees inside and under it. Have fun is the main thing and enjoy the bees. I agree with Dragonfly about filling it, you will want to look under it before they can eat it all.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My only concern with mike's is when it rains, water and debris can get into your feeder. All I use is top feeders and I just place the cover without the inner cover on top and I call it done.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I put the top cover on also and just put in a stick or something for an air gap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.