Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brushy Mtn top hive feeder. If I read correctly, The top hive feeder is designed to be placed on top of the hive, covered by inner cover & then outer cover. Other literature says when using a top feeder the inner cover is not used. Thoughts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Man, I make my spelling errors in the Thread title...ugh! Gotta watch that...obviously I meant "Top Feeder from Brushy Mtn...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bees can't read, don't worry.
I've got a couple of the ML feeders, no need to use inner cover. You might need to worry about condensation and ventilation when they are on, I glued a piece of 1/8 inch wood near each corner of the inside of the outer cover.
The only issue I've had is bees getting around the screen and going for a swim - get some food grade or aquarium caulk and apply it up each side of the screen.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I use their top feeders with inside wood floats. I also use an inner screen cover with the flat side down. This way I can remove the cantilevered (outer cover) and just pour the sugar water through the screen.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I have one of their feeders with the floats. Always had a problem with bees drowning until I put nylon window screen around the top of each float so the edges around the floats is too tight for a bee to get under the float. I usually put the inner cover over my ML feeders (screen over center of plastic insert) to keep bees from drowning if my outer/telescoping cover is warped so bees can't get in. Learned that lesson the hard way. Top was warped and when I went to refill, the feeder was full of dead bees! r hayden has a good point on the caulk on the ML feeders too. Use the caulk!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts