Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have always used bottom entrances but thought about adopting the top entrance idea on a few hives and see what the fad was about

all seemed ok for about a month - they didnt care about the new door way --until yesterday when i gave them a second deep !!!!! oh they got lost - just ruined there little bee days !!!!!

they couldnt find there new door - only 9 inches away

im thinking that if they had trouble with this - what happens with 4 supers on ????

this morning there was a lot of bees hanging on where the old entrance was -
anyone else have this happen???

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
The bees will orientate to the new location in a few days.
Some people drill an entrance hole in the super so that the bees can enter the supers at will.
If the hole is drilled in the exact same location in each super the bees do not have to relocate.
I have used a speed bore to cut the hole with the super on the hive.
Ernie

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i leave 'em both the old bottom and new top so the workers dont have to travel far and you get great air flow. good luck,mike

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah - i went out and gave them there old door way back and left the top entrance also - i figure in time they will use the fastest route

ive noticed that in the OB hive they rush in drop pollen in cell and are back out - no stoppin for chit chat or coffee --

funny how some animals have no time for play

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Just like Mike Haney said, why eliminate an entrance that is "in use", without a good reason. During the honey flow I just continue to add supers so that each one creates an additional entrance and even push the cover back to keep an entrance at the very top. I only eliminate the extra entrances once the honey flow ends, in order to reduce robbing.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh i forgot to tell ya all that the entrance that i used for the top entance was the inner cover - that i notched out - so then when i added a box the inner cover went up with the deep

but i got the bees back in - its pouring outside

im thinking things will be fine -

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Concrete,
I have both upper and lower entrances. My bees love both entrances. My upper entrance is part of the inner cover, and last week I added my 2nd deep brood boxes, thus raising the upper entrance a full deep higher. Yes, returning bees were still going to the same place where the upper entrance 'used to be'- now nothing there but the sides of the boxes...and they marched around all confused. But by the next day they were realizing where the new location of the upper entrance was.

Interestingly, the guard bees inside the hive knew immediately and repositioned themselves up into the new brood box at the top. They were lined up guarding the upper entrance within minutes of moving that entrance up an entire deep box' worth.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I only use top entrances, but then again I start my hives that way. I've added boxes and have never had any issues with them not finding the entrance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts