Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone to top entrances this year on all of my hives in an attempt to reduce the impact that skunks have had on my colonies. Everything seems to be going very well so far, but I have a couple of questions for those who have some experience with top entrances.

In the past, with bottom entrances, it was common that the bees would tend to store the majority of fall pollen in the lower box. With top entrances will I now see pollen in the upper box closer to the entrance? I'm just curious if the typical pollen storage location is a function of entrance proximity, or will I still find it in the lower part of the brood chamber?

Also, for those of you who practice checkerboarding in late winter/early spring .... What do you do with frames that are very heavily packed with pollen? Leave them where they are, or disperse them throughout the boxes?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Pollen storage in my hives with upper entrances, above an excluder.

For an example, I just thoroughly inspected several of my full-size colonies. Each were bringing in and storing a fair amount of pollen, several frames, in each colony they were not only not placing any in the honey supers, they were often placing it in the bottom brood super, or sometimes in the upper brood super of hives with two 8-frame medium supers as brood supers beneath a queen excluder, with only a 3/8" hole in the front of the upper brood super to permit drones a way to exit the brood supers (later many drones can be found in the honey supers).

When I am looking through a hive I sometimes place combs of pollen adjacent to frames of sealed brood, but they usually are already there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts