Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one hive that by happenstance has a top entrance. By neglect I allowed the bees to make comb in a spacer a year ago, and the comb is attached at the top to the bottom of the inner cover. So I've been leaving it be, as a kind of extra storage overwinter. The bees have gotten used to a top entrance and have been busy bringing in pollen at the top. The storage pattern is completely different from what I'm used to with bottom entrances: the top box is clogged with pollen. You can see where frames had been full of brood and the last of the brood is emerging, and the queen did not refill those cells, but they got packed with pollen. The bottom box is empty, even though I reversed brood boxes a few weeks ago.

Do bees that use a top entrance tend to fill the hive from top down? Usually the pollen is filling the bottom box.

I didn't see much brood and though they're bringing in nectar, the bees are acting kind of scattered and agitated, which makes me think they may have recently superseded or are queenless. I saw very little open brood. This is a separate issue from the one of a top entrance, but some beeks say that overstorage of pollen is a sign of a failing queen.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm about 200 miles north of you & all of my hives have brood, all stages. They're bringing in pollen & but little or no nectar yet. My guess is that you are probably experiencing a queen event of some sort & a close look for the queen would be in order. Let me know what you find. rick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts