Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I know a number of you here use migratory tops or some other form of giving a top entrance and only a top entrance, closing off the bottom. I'm wondering if any of you are not treating for mites, and if not, have you noticed the mite population being greater? I thought the affect of the sbb was that the forager came home, the mite was not well attached and fell off through the screen when the bee first entered the hive, but it seems like with a top entrance the mite would have much less chance of falling all the way to the bottom and through the screen and a much greater chance of landing on a solid surface somewhere in the hive and sticking around

Thanks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The function of a SBB towards mite control is the opened bottom to allow for the mites to fall through as the bees groom themselves or as the mites otherwise become dislodged. It also acts the same towards the SHB and young. Although, to be really effective with the SHB, especially in our area, you need a tray on the underside full of oil to catch the beetles and young. Otherwise, they will just fall through and return again continuing to feed off your hive and continuing to lay in your hive.

Again towards mite control, the SBB will also allow for the use of a mite sticky board to count the mites over a period of time to translate to a treatment threshold if a treatment is to be used.

Later, John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts