Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the South, and don't really see a need for inner covers and top covers. So I went with a migratory-type cover. being fortunate to have moved into a house that had a left-over wooden locker that uses 3/4" ply with a shiny laminated outside, I decided to cut it up and use it. I mean, $FREE.99 is the best price to pay for ANY cover, right?

Then I saw Mike Bush's method of venting/entrancing the top covers, and know I need a vent in my covers. Since I had cut my tops about 2" longer than the bottom boards, I just ran two dado grooves at the bottom of the back end of the board. About 1/2" wide, about 7/16" deep, and about 2" long. This way, I can slide the covers forward until they are flush with the back, and I have two top exits that also allow ventilation. Slide the covers back until they are flush with the front, and the bees cannot get out. Somewhere in between will be a smidgen of air flow without the possibility of escape (though I can't see why this would ever be needed).

My 2-7/8" hole saw cut just in front of these allows me to insert and glue in some #8 HW cloth so the bees can't escape when I refill the mason jar feeders. (Make sure you push the wire in so that it is convex against the mason jar lid so the bees can actually drink).

Just sharing cuz it's too hot to be outside and sweating. Plus, I just made some Pad Thai and think a nap is in order...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
I live in the South, and don't really see a need for inner covers and top covers. So I went with a migratory-type cover. being fortunate to have moved into a house that had a left-over wooden locker that uses 3/4" ply with a shiny laminated outside, I decided to cut it up and use it. I mean, $FREE.99 is the best price to pay for ANY cover, right?

Then I saw Mike Bush's method of venting/entrancing the top covers, and know I need a vent in my covers. Since I had cut my tops about 2" longer than the bottom boards, I just ran two dado grooves at the bottom of the back end of the board. About 1/2" wide, about 7/16" deep, and about 2" long. This way, I can slide the covers forward until they are flush with the back, and I have two top exits that also allow ventilation. Slide the covers back until they are flush with the front, and the bees cannot get out. Somewhere in between will be a smidgen of air flow without the possibility of escape (though I can't see why this would ever be needed).

My 2-7/8" hole saw cut just in front of these allows me to insert and glue in some #8 HW cloth so the bees can't escape when I refill the mason jar feeders. (Make sure you push the wire in so that it is convex against the mason jar lid so the bees can actually drink).

Just sharing cuz it's too hot to be outside and sweating. Plus, I just made some Pad Thai and think a nap is in order...
Sounds like a good plan to me:}
Thanks for sharing
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top