Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a package top bar colony that in about 7-10 days will have drawn out all the bars in the hive, so I have no more room to insert blank bars in the broodnest or for honey storage. As bars become full of capped honey, I assume that it would be okay to remove those bars and insert a blank bar in the hope that they will continue to draw the new bar out for additional honey storage. Is that correct?

If so, I plan to freeze the capped honey so that I can later return it to the colony for a portion of their winter stores. Can I just freeze it for several days and then take out of the freezer? if so, what do I need to do to protect and preserve the honey until I reinsert into the hive?

I have been continuously feeding 1:1 even in the midst of our current flow so that they will draw out as much comb as possible. As a result, I know that I don't have capped honey, but rather I have capped sugar water. Regardless, I don't intend to consume it and will leave it all for the winter bees so I figure no harm done. Anything wrong with continuing to feed 1:1 until the fall when I will switch to 2:1?

Anything else that folks can offer for honey management within a top bar beyond the questions I posed above?

Thanks!

Kevin

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
I have a package top bar colony that in about 7-10 days will have drawn out all the bars in the hive, so I have no more room to insert blank bars in the broodnest or for honey storage. As bars become full of capped honey, I assume that it would be okay to remove those bars and insert a blank bar in the hope that they will continue to draw the new bar out for additional honey storage. Is that correct?

If so, I plan to freeze the capped honey so that I can later return it to the colony for a portion of their winter stores. Can I just freeze it for several days and then take out of the freezer? if so, what do I need to do to protect and preserve the honey until I reinsert into the hive?

I have been continuously feeding 1:1 even in the midst of our current flow so that they will draw out as much comb as possible. As a result, I know that I don't have capped honey, but rather I have capped sugar water. Regardless, I don't intend to consume it and will leave it all for the winter bees so I figure no harm done. Anything wrong with continuing to feed 1:1 until the fall when I will switch to 2:1?

Anything else that folks can offer for honey management within a top bar beyond the questions I posed above?

Thanks!

Kevin
Just remove the near-fully capped bars and replace them with blanks.
Keep inserting the blanks closer to the brood nest and shift the (near) full bars away.

Place the bars with honey into plastic bags (to capture any spillage) and just freeze - no futzing about.
Keep them frozen until you need them.
When in need, pull a comb out, let it thaw to room temperature - then use as needed (for bees or for self).

I would not feed.
You are wasting comb space and your own time by diluting real honey with sugar water (at least dye the sugar water green or blue - so you know where it is present in your honey).
Given a good flow, bees need no feeding to draw comb.
So I would immediately stop feeding as it is a disservice to the bees and yourself too (you very well could have some honey surplus to yourself, but you just contaminate it).

Only need to feed post-flow depending on the situation on hand.

One good thing - bees winter well on straight sugar honey (no solids in it is good for wintering).

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a package top bar colony that in about 7-10 days will have drawn out all the bars in the hive,
How many bars is your TBH? If all the combs are drawn out in that short of time makes me wonder how big your tbh is. My rule with my tbh's is once they have 15 combs, feeding stops. Unless they really need the feed of course.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the T J Carr design so it is 28 bars and about 4' in length. I have kept feeding to maintain the comb building but based on Greg's comment, I may stop now during the flow.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
I used the T J Carr design so it is 28 bars and about 4' in length. I have kept feeding to maintain the comb building but based on Greg's comment, I may stop now during the flow.
I'd mark any bars with honey present now as "sugar honey" and freeze when pulled them.
You will return them to the bees for the winter.
Any bars stored AFTER you stop feeding should be the real honey.
Those you can take away and do as you wish (including keeping for the bees too).

Pretty much make a habit of tinting the sugar syrup so it is very clear what it is.
I still have plenty of such tinted "sugar honey" on hand - will feed to my nucs if I make any.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts