Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Our Kenyan Top Bar Hive has a Cordovan queen now. She is a beauty! I did not get any pictures as we / I made 24 splits and 2 package bees for the workshop before the afternoon rain. So is this the only TBH with a Cordovan lady? How many workshops teach TBH? There are nearly a hundred new beeks at the class so it is getting exposure. One of the splits was in a Tanzanian TBH.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How do the feeders work? My top bar hives do not have access to the top for the bees. I have thought of doing something to allow access but have not done so yet.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
leave a top bar out where you want a feeder with a 1 to 1 3/8 inch hole through the outer cover and set the feeder on top, I thought about hiring a design engineer but in the Marine Corps the best path is KISS keep it simple stupid!

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We inspected the TBH for the first time. The new queen is laying nicely. The girls had built a little comb and superceded our beautiful Cordovan queen. I forgot to take pictures again. There will be plenty of cameras next workshop.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The feeder idea is interesting....but I wonder if they will build alot of cross and burr comb with bars missing. It's an interesting idea as feeding inside like I do takes up alot of hive space. I am looking forward to seeing how this works out as they fill er up.
Please keep us posted.
Mike

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They have not build burr comb where the bars are out for feeders yet. I add Honey B Healthy and Amino B Booster to the sugar syrup. I was mainly feeding so they would draw comb quickly (still 2:1) and build out for the Winter. They have enough so I stopped feeding. I prefer not to feed when they can work for themselves.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Nice set on Videos,looks like the beginning of a terrific hive. I think it will bring more folks to make them to keep in their own back yards

Tommyt

1 - 20 of 30 Posts